VOGONS

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi friends, hope you are well.

I came upon a discarded Leading Edge CMC-1414BA. Saw it and couldn't pass.

Unfortunately someone cut the VGA cable at some point.

monitor-2.jpg
Filename
monitor-2.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Anyone have recommendations or instructions on how to get a new cord put on?

If I can get it to work, it looks like a cool little monitor. This is from eBay, someone had the same monitor for sale a little while back:

monitor-1.jpg
Filename
monitor-1.jpg
File size
276.81 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 3, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I turn it on, the green light turns on, but I don't see a picture. When I turn it off, I see a faint white square shrinking quickly and then disappearing.

Not sure/don't remember if monitors from this era had those "no input" screens like we have now. Anyone know if there's anything like that on these types of monitors, or would I likely have to put a VGA cable on to test if it works?

Reply 3 of 3, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From your description it sounds like the monitor might still work. There won't be any kind of on-screen display with an ancient VGA monitor like this one, so what you're seeing is consistent with the video cable not being connected to anything.

If you're lucky the internal end of the VGA cable will have some kind of connector on it that you can salvage. I'd suggest finding a cheap donor VGA cable and cutting one end off. The challenge will be matching up all the wires to whatever internal connector was being used, since you no longer have the original cable to test the pinout!