VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recently picked up a very interesting device - a Compaq Multibay LS-120 drive, shiny NOS. Wow! Just one problem: how to hook it up to anything else...

Now, there's quite a lot of info available about Multibay II, and lots of devices too, including nice USB 2.0 external cradles. Lovely. But this LS-120 drive is Multibay I. One clear difference is drive height. The Multibay I is around 12.55mm high, where the Multibay II is only 9mm high. So this drive isn't going to fit into one of those cradles. Oh well. However what I'm more interested in, is the other end: I can't find pinouts for the connector, so I can't determine whether it's electrically the same.

Given age of the platforms, I strongly suspect that Multibay I was basically PATA-on-an-SCA-like-connector, where the Multibay II would be SATA-on-similar-connector. In that case it's going to be different and there's no point in buying one of those cradles to cannibalize the actual converter bits.

Anyone have any info on the bus/pinout? Or on ways to get Multibay I talking IDE or USB outside of a 2000-ish Compaq laptop?

Reply 2 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting!

Here's some pics to document things.

Multibay (I), the one I have:

multibay-1.png
Filename
multibay-1.png
File size
28.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Found image of Multibay II, clearly different:

multibay-2.png
Filename
multibay-2.png
File size
61.05 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It's not just the connector, the Multibay II also has the corner of the drive 'cut off'.

Now to see about that link you posted, that might just be both right connector and exactly the kind of form factor I'd be looking for 😀

Edit:
Long live marketing... looks like it *is* the right connector, that Compaq was using it years before (hence the beige drive in your link) but that they just started calling it "Multibay" after 2000. So I'd be happy to buy the thing in the link you dredged up (looks like it's from some mid 1990s Proliant) - but that site hasn't been updated since 2015 and the last announcement is they're not taking new orders. Still, someone's still paying for the domain and they do invite you to get in touch by email... (plus it's virtually round the corner, less than half an hour's drive away). Will still look a bit more online, if only to get a part number for that adapter bracket so the next person looking knows what to google for.

Reply 4 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a multibay I external caddy with USB 2.0 that was manufactured in 2005, part codes are:
Ext MB Cradle: PO7456 or P07456
External Multibay Series PPE001
HP P/N: 217389-003
HP Kit P/N: DC373B
JP Spare: 366143-001

It works with the LS-120 module I've got installed in it 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woohoo! I'd spotted but also written off the DC373B because it looked too new and seemed only 9mm high on pics (and no sign of one with connector). But if you have the exact device I have running in it (Compaq P/N 178372-133?) that's pretty convincing. And they are indeed pretty widely available 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, this is neat.

I've never heard of Multibay, but I do like LS-120 drives. Would be pretty cool to have one connect via USB. Though, admittedly, I wouldn't use it often unless I just used it for reading\archiving floppies. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that Multibay I connector reminds me of my Compaq Armada laptop cdrom drives. Those are just standard PATA drives ... with a multibay I connector adapter board.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, ordered a DC373B. Amazingly, getting one in Canada was cheapest, even including shipping - and local ones lacked cables which is an issue as that 5V port is decidedly non-standard. Should have an update in a few weeks, but very optimistic after Thermalwrong's post.

And yes, before it was marketed as "Multibay" it was just the Compaq laptop CD-connector, which was IDE plus some extra stuff for floppy and power (to allow use of batteries in the CD bay).

Reply 9 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ah yes, indeed, battery and floppy as well. also second hard drive was possible...
makes me wonder if analog cd audio was routed back into the laptop...

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-08, 11:18:

ah yes, indeed, battery and floppy as well. also second hard drive was possible...
makes me wonder if analog cd audio was routed back into the laptop...

The adapter Warlord found on the defunct web shop certainly has analog audio on it. Whether that was also routed back internally on laptops is another matter, but it should be available:
compaqcd1.jpg

Reply 11 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-03-08, 12:59:
The adapter Warlord found on the defunct web shop certainly has analog audio on it. Whether that was also routed back internally […]
Show full quote

The adapter Warlord found on the defunct web shop certainly has analog audio on it. Whether that was also routed back internally on laptops is another matter, but it should be available:
compaqcd1.jpg

Yep, you're right, totally overlooked that. sadly, I couldn't find the pinout for the multibay connector online.

Do not ask Why !