VOGONS

First post, by Asches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

I am trying to clean up/declutter my desk/workspace a bit, and am looking to try running through a switch for keyboards and mice. For the most part, that isn't an issue since most of my computers run USB with no issue. The problem I am running into is with my 95 machine. I can get it to register a USB keyboard with the use of a USB to PS/2 adapter, but it will not register any mouse with an adapter. Is there any solution to this? Maybe a switch that runs a PS/2 keyboard and mouse into USB and PS/2?

The computer is an old HP Vectra XA 6 running Windows 95 with Plus.
The mouse is a basic HP mouse that came with a different computer that is long gone
The keyboard is just a generic one

Neither the keyboard or mouse has any LED lighting/additional power draw.

I have too many computers!
Wait... no I don't.

Reply 1 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forums!

Just so I understand correctly:
Your generic USB keyboard is working with a USB to PS/2 adapter on the Vectra?
Your HP USB mouse is not working with a USB to PS/2 adapter on the Vectra?

Most likely, the mouse does not support PS/2 signalling with an adapter. The mouse has to be wired to do this, which most have not been for more than 10 years.

I did quick search and came up with this thread. It may help you to find a mouse that can be adapter to PS/2:
Good mouse for DOS - PS/2 or BIOS USB->PS/2

I will say though, if your intent is to use a USB KVM to switch USB KB\Mouse to use on different PCs and to have one of them actually connect with PS/2 adapters, you'll want to wait here for some feedback on that, as I'm not sure if that will work or not. The USB KVM would have to be able to pass PS/2 signals from the mouse over USB. That capability may depend on the KVM being used, in addition to the mouse and keyboard.

It is more likely to work with the USB to PS/2 adapters before the KVM, and to use a PS/2 KVM instead, as that should work on any retro PC. This obviously wouldn't work on a system that only has USB ports however.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are some KVM's that do PS/2 mouse emulation (these models tend to have a pair of PS/2 ports and a USB port for each computer).

I don't make use of this functionality myself (I either have all-PS/2 devices, or all-USB devices; using either a VGA/PS2 KVM or VGA/USB KVM), but I've seen people refer to them before.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 4, by Asches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-03-08, 07:27:

Just so I understand correctly:
Your generic USB keyboard is working with a USB to PS/2 adapter on the Vectra?
Your HP USB mouse is not working with a USB to PS/2 adapter on the Vectra?

This is exactly it. Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! It seem I have much more digging to do. I never considered that mice would have changed with the tech as time went on.
I suppose I've just always taken it for granted that the mice I've had through the years just... worked.

Wait... no I don't.

Reply 4 of 4, by Asches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-03-08, 09:59:

There are some KVM's that do PS/2 mouse emulation (these models tend to have a pair of PS/2 ports and a USB port for each computer).

I don't make use of this functionality myself (I either have all-PS/2 devices, or all-USB devices; using either a VGA/PS2 KVM or VGA/USB KVM), but I've seen people refer to them before.

That gives me a great starting point to look into! Thanks!

Wait... no I don't.