VOGONS

First post, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've a card that works for sound and I'm trying to get the IDE to work for a CD drive on my 386, which has one other IDE channel on the multi I/O card.

I understand that I need to initialise the IDE by running SACDROM.SYS in CONFIG.SYS before I run VIDECD.SYS.

The SETUPSA.EXE allows me to specify which pair of ports the two IDE ports use, and also the IRQ. I've tried putting those into the command line for VIDECD.SYS. Last night I got one working but I can't recall what I had done and I can't seem to repeat it. VIDECD.SYS doesn't like all of the options I can choose from either.

Has anyone found an explanation for this and can point me in the right direction?

Reply 1 of 2, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe I have found the problem.

The SACDROM.SYS driver needs options on it.

In my case it's /P1E8 /I11 /A3EE

I couldn't find this information anywhere in a manual. I did get it working by finding the install file which has been removed from the DOS driver zip that's easy to find and starting the batch file with the -c option.

Reply 2 of 2, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another issue found/worked around.

Rebooting with ctrl-alt-del will cause the cd-rom driver to fail to find it, a full reboot fixes this. It took me a while to realise that was what the problem was. Hope it helps someone else.