VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I scored a Typhoon 3dMax Voodoo 1 card. When it arrives, I will put it in a machine that also will have a Voodoo5 and a Voodoo2 (will try to score a 2nd V2.) I need to find another loopback cable. I nay have one in a box somewhere from a Creative DVD decoder card.

However, if O cannot locate it, I will need to buy another amd they are expensive. I found a VGA splitter in ebay for less than 5 bucks. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will that work?

2. If it works, can I use that for both the Voodoo2 and Voodoo1, or will it confuse the cards, requiring the use of separate cables?

Thanks!

Scythifuge

Reply 2 of 5, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the cards don't really care where the signal comes from or where it goes, they just switch from through to internal output when used though daisy-chaining the loop like that leads to more signal loss, I'd cut out the loopback alltogether and use an automatic vga switch and connect all outputs to that.

you don't need any specific "3Dfx Voodoo loop cable" any VGA extension will work and they're equally as cheap.

Reply 3 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2021-03-09, 15:20:

I'd cut out the loopback alltogether and use an automatic vga switch and connect all outputs to that.

in case it wasn't clear this is also what I was suggesting

Reply 4 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Yes, generally speaking you can use a splitter as a passthrough leaving one plug not connected. The quality won't be the best but since it's so cheap you can try it and see if it bothers you/it's noticeable. Also it heavily depends on the splitter, some are terrible.
2. I've never tried it but in theory it should work. Only one voodoo will be active at a time anyway.

My question is, is it worth the trouble to manage different .OVLs, DLLs etc to have both a V1 and a V2 on the same machine, and will they function correctly while in the same machine (regardless of the passthrough solution you end up using)? Maybe it's a use case I haven't thought of.

Reply 5 of 5, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the replies. I will look into an auto VGA splitter. I have read about others having multiple Voodoo cards in their 3dfx boxes, and they simply put the required glide files directly in the game folders so that the proper Voodoo card is activated, so 1997 games would select the voodoo 1, 1998 games would select the voodoo 2, and 1999-2001 games that support glide would select the voodoo 3/4/5. It will be an interesting experiment, as I will eventually add a 2nd voodoo 2 card for SLI. I bought a voodoo 5, but the seller lied about it working, but wisely accepted the return, but now I have to hunt down another voodoo 5. When I do, the main card will be the v5, looped into voodoo 2 SLI, which will be looped into the voodoo 1 (a v1 brand I never heard of, but it has heatsinks added.) I want the voodoo 5 to make this a 1980-2000 box (basically running everything up to Deus Ex era games.) I am also running an AWE32 for DOS games, and I have a SB Live Platinum for W9x games.