VOGONS

First post, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I recently restored an old family computer. Everything worked fine except for the RAM. I tried to change the jumper config but i messed something up and i think i fried the board... So i am looking for a new board. Any ideas from you?
the specs:
amd k6-2/266 afr cpu
intel i740 agp gpu/siluro t400 (have 2 cards depending on the situation)
32x cd rom drive
1x 512mb sdram
1x 32mb sdram
1x 128mb sdram
no pc speaker (the wire lit on fire and that is why my family stopped using the PC)
10/100 LAN internet card
20gb hard drive
The board:
Pcchips m577 rev3.0

Last edited by Geofand26 on 2021-03-10, 15:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never seen that a bad ram configuration can fry the motherboard, so maybe just the ram went bad and not the mobo.

What layout is it, AT or ATX? If it is ATX
Super Socket 7 ATX boards are getting expensive, maybe you can get a i440BX cheaper and fit it in the case.

Reply 2 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those specs are off...

SRAM is used in caches and no K6-2 system would have more than 2MB (or 16Mb) of it. You probably mean SDRAM.

Anyway, reading what you probably mean instead of what you actually say, you have a late So7 CPU, some AGP cards, one of which is nVidia. That sounds like you want a board with MVP3 chipset (Aladdin V can have troubles with nVidia AGP cards). At leas, assuming you want to use as many as possible of these components for software that will run on a K6-2 266.

Reply 3 of 7, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2021-03-10, 14:52:

I've never seen that a bad ram configuration can fry the motherboard, so maybe just the ram went bad and not the mobo.

What layout is it, AT or ATX? If it is ATX
Super Socket 7 ATX boards are getting expensive, maybe you can get a i440BX cheaper and fit it in the case.

Its an AT power supply. I am 70% sure its not the ram because it wont post at all with any of the sticks(or no RAM at all). I also saw smoke coming out of the board so i don't think its the ram.

Reply 4 of 7, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-03-10, 15:17:

Those specs are off...

SRAM is used in caches and no K6-2 system would have more than 2MB (or 16Mb) of it. You probably mean SDRAM.

Anyway, reading what you probably mean instead of what you actually say, you have a late So7 CPU, some AGP cards, one of which is nVidia. That sounds like you want a board with MVP3 chipset (Aladdin V can have troubles with nVidia AGP cards). At leas, assuming you want to use as many as possible of these components for software that will run on a K6-2 266.

Yea I meant sdram. My computer automatically corrected it to sram-_-. But anyways I think you nailed what i am looking for at first glance. Any recommendations to start to look for?

Reply 5 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Geofand26 wrote on 2021-03-10, 15:47:

Its an AT power supply. I am 70% sure its not the ram because it wont post at all with any of the sticks(or no RAM at all). I also saw smoke coming out of the board so i don't think its the ram.

Since it has an AT power supply, then the motherboard itself is AT style layout, basically it more "square", where the ATX boards are more "rectangular" with the CPU on the upper part and the expansion slots towards the bottom. So... answering your question: As dionb said, you're best bet is an MPV3 based motherboard, you can search on eBay for "MPV3 Motherboard" and see what is available, but prepare yourself to pay a premium since they're getting more sought after by collectors and retro-enthusiasts.

Reply 7 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Geofand26 wrote on 2021-03-10, 15:57:

[...]

Yea I meant sdram. My computer automatically corrected it to sram-_-. But anyways I think you nailed what i am looking for at first glance. Any recommendations to start to look for?

Given limited availability and a great number of models, just look for anything with MVP3 and if you find something for an acceptable price, check whether it fits the bill and there are no known major issues. The only board not to get is the very first one, the FIC-PA2013, as it couldn't supply enough power to the AGP slot resulting at best in VGA issues and at worst burning boards if you put in a relatively high-power card. Note that the PA-2013 is an ATX board anyway, so wouldn't fit anyway.