VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: I bought the 500watt Magna PSU. Will that do the job?

My current psu doesn’t provide enough amps. So i want to know what psu i should pick for my build whether it’s modern or not.

Specs:
My build
450 Watt EVGA PSU 80Plus Bronze PSU (Does not provide enough power)

Socket 370 Dual CPU Support Motherboard
Dual Tualatin 1.4ghz CPU’s
1gb ram
Ti 4600 GPU
Matrox Millennium 2 GPU
SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA Sound Card
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card
120gb SSD with 98SE
120gb IDE HDD
8fans including 2gpu and 1psu fan.
Drives:
500gb IDE HDD
2 DVD Drives
Floppy Drive
USB Floppy

Attachments

Reply 1 of 19, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you measured the +5V and +12V rails from the Molex connector using a multimeter?
I wouldn't trust those Magna or Mercury supplies, they look like electronic firecrackers given the complete absence of identifiable safety markings. (CE, PFC and P4 don't count as electrical safety markings in my book.)

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming that Magna unit is actually from the Magna series by SPI (Sparkle), it might be decent .

Sparkle have a generally good reputation, but I am not familiar with the Magna series .

If it is some other "Magna" brand , who knows .

I personally would never trust a retro PC with expensive and hard to replace parts to a PSU that is not from a reputable brand and, if it is used/old, that has not been tested/refurbished by somebody knowlegeable .

Reply 3 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-10, 20:19:
Assuming that Magna unit is actually from the Magna series by SPI (Sparkle), it might be decent . […]
Show full quote

Assuming that Magna unit is actually from the Magna series by SPI (Sparkle), it might be decent .

Sparkle have a generally good reputation, but I am not familiar with the Magna series .

I personally would never trust a retro PC with expensive and hard to replace parts to a PSU that is not from a reputable brand and, if it is used/old, that has not been tested/refurbished by somebody knowlegeable .

But what option is there for a psu in a Retro Build? eBay is mostly flooded with modern psu’s that do not provide enough amps. And there is one modern 80 plus psu that does but it’s very expensive.

Reply 4 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-10, 20:19:
Assuming that Magna unit is actually from the Magna series by SPI (Sparkle), it might be decent . […]
Show full quote

Guess it’s good for a temporary solution. I want to eventually get the Corsair TX850M 80 Plus Gold PSU which also provides enough amps.

Reply 5 of 19, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah stick with name brands only to be safe. I use a 400w antec model which I bought nos, it's been going strong for (4) years.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote on 2021-03-10, 21:21:

Yeah stick with name brands only to be safe. I use a 400w antec model which I bought nos, it's been going strong for (4) years.

I already have an EVGA 80 Bronze PSU but doesn’t provide enough amps on the 5v rail which is why i’m going for a period correct PSU. Can’t find Antec PSU’s with enough watts. Guess it’s good to use this old psu until i have enough to buy the Corsair TX850M 80 Plus Gold PSU.

Reply 7 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-03-10, 22:02:

I already have an EVGA 80 Bronze PSU but doesn’t provide enough amps on the 5v rail which is why i’m going for a period correct PSU. Can’t find Antec PSU’s with enough watts. Guess it’s good to use this old psu until i have enough to buy the Corsair TX850M 80 Plus Gold PSU.

The RM850x has 150W combined on 3.3V and 5V rails . The TX850M only has 130W . The official price difference is 20 US$, so I would recommend the RM850X .

EDIT: These models now come with a 24-pin ATX connector that does not allow detaching the extra 4-pin block for use with a motherboard equipped with a 20-pin ATX connector . An adapter will be required will be required for use with most older motherboards. I use an RM850x and Startech adapter cable on my main retro build .

Reply 9 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-10, 23:03:

The RM850x has 150W combined on 3.3V and 5V rails . The TX850M only has 130W . The official price difference is 20 US$, so I would recommend the RM850X .

EDIT: These models now come with a 24-pin ATX connector that does not allow detaching the extra 4-pin block for use with a motherboard equipped with a 20-pin ATX connector . An adapter will be required will be required for use with most older motherboards. I use an RM850x and Startech adapter cable on my main retro build .

Looked into it and the TX850M looks like the clear winner. Giving 50Amps on the 5volt rail where as the other Corsair PSU you mentioned only gives 25Amps on the 5 Volt Rail. The Magna that i baught sucks. Isn’t providing enough power to the GPU.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-03-16, 14:47:

Looked into it and the TX850M looks like the clear winner. Giving 50Amps on the 5volt rail where as the other Corsair PSU you mentioned only gives 25Amps on the 5 Volt Rail. The Magna that i baught sucks. Isn’t providing enough power to the GPU.

How can you have 50A on the 5v rail, which would mean 250 watts, if the max combined load on 3.3v and 5v rails is 130 watts? There has to be a typo somewhere, or there is something I am missing.

EDIT: The manual from the Corsair web site says 25A for the 5v, which makes much more sense .

tx850m.png
Filename
tx850m.png
File size
48.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source : https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_mast … /TXM_Manual.pdf

EDIT : Found the source for that "50A" reference : https://www.eteknix.com/corsair-tx850m-power-supply-review/ . They also have a box photo where you can make out 25A for the 5v rail . They reviewer either made a typo or was provided documentation with a typo and since, nowadays, people mostly care about the 12 rail, no one noticed .

There was also what is likely an older version of the TX850M (PSU "manufacturers" love revising their designs and specs without adding version numbers) with 30A max on the 5V rail and 150watts combined for 3.3v and 5v. It had a bronze efficiency rating, though. https://www.newegg.com/corsair-enthusiast-ser … N82E16817139029

Reply 11 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-16, 15:24:
How can you have 50A on the 5v rail, which would mean 250 watts, if the max combined load on 3.3v and 5v rails is 130 watts? The […]
Show full quote

How can you have 50A on the 5v rail, which would mean 250 watts, if the max combined load on 3.3v and 5v rails is 130 watts? There has to be a typo somewhere, or there is something I am missing.

EDIT: The manual from the Corsair web site says 25A for the 5v, which makes much more sense .
tx850m.png

EDIT : Found the source for that "50A" reference : https://www.eteknix.com/corsair-tx850m-power-supply-review/ . They also have a box photo where you can make out 25A for the 5v rail . They reviewer either made a typo or was provided documentation with a typo and since, nowadays, people mostly care about the 12 rail, no one noticed .

There was also what is likely an older version of the TX850M (PSU "manufacturers" love revising their designs and specs without adding version numbers) with 30A max on the 5V rail and 150watts combined for 3.3v and 5v. It had a bronze efficiency rating, though. https://www.newegg.com/corsair-enthusiast-ser … N82E16817139029

Oh that’s a bummer. Guess they’re both the same then. Which ever is cheaper i will go for it? The RM psu costs a lot more for some reason. And is 25Amps enough for 2 Tualatins?

Reply 12 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-03-16, 18:12:
How can you have 50A on the 5v rail, which would mean 250 watts, if the max combined load on 3.3v and 5v rails is 130 watts? The […]
Show full quote

tx850m.png

Oh that’s a bummer. Guess they’re both the same then. Which ever is cheaper i will go for it? The RM psu costs a lot more for some reason. And is 25Amps enough for 2 Tualatins?

Where are you located and what prices are you seeing for the RM850x vs TX850M ?

Reply 13 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-16, 18:25:
Show full quote

tx850m.png

£140 for the RM PSU and £90 for the TX850.

Reply 14 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-03-16, 21:28:
darry wrote on 2021-03-16, 18:25:

£140 for the RM PSU and £90 for the TX850.

The RM850x seems to actually be comparably priced (within 10£) to what I can find locally . I just checked around where I am and an RM850x is about 224CAN$ with taxes and shipping included which is actually cheaper than when I bought mine for ( 294 CAN$) last year .

I can only guess/hope that the TX850M would be enough for your use case .

Reply 15 of 19, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your intent is also to do DOS gaming on this build, keep in mind that neither the AWE64 nor the Audigy 2 have an actual OPL3 FM synthesizer chip on board. The AWE64 has a Creative-produced clone chip that doesn't exactly sound the same. For newer DOS games that support General MIDI, this might not matter, but it might matter when you're playing older DOS games.

Reply 16 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 yeah one has to be careful with the "combined" wattage even if the specs seem to say one of those rails can supply more. Good eye !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2021-03-16, 23:41:

If your intent is also to do DOS gaming on this build, keep in mind that neither the AWE64 nor the Audigy 2 have an actual OPL3 FM synthesizer chip on board. The AWE64 has a Creative-produced clone chip that doesn't exactly sound the same. For newer DOS games that support General MIDI, this might not matter, but it might matter when you're playing older DOS games.

My AWE64 does not work. I do plan on changing it out for an Orpheus with a Dreamblaster addon. But is the Tualatin 1.4ghz really capable of playing the older DOS games. Don’t you need like a 100 to 500mhz cpu to play some of those old DOS games?

Reply 18 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-03-17, 01:08:

My AWE64 does not work. I do plan on changing it out for an Orpheus with a Dreamblaster addon. But is the Tualatin 1.4ghz really capable of playing the older DOS games. Don’t you need like a 100 to 500mhz cpu to play some of those old DOS games?

I have a 1.4GHz Tualatin machine with several sound cards . So far, I have been able to run speed sensitive games like Canon Fodder and Gateway with an MT-32 simply by disabling L1 and L2 caches with SETMUL . I have even been able to play games as old as Space Quest 3 with no issues . I would hazard to guess that most of the DOS game from the nineties onward could be made to run on that fast a machine just by disabling caches (either that or I have been very lucky).

If you need to go even slower, you might be able to halve your speed by forcing FSB to 66MHz instead of 133MHz, if your motherboard BIOS allows that or use something like Throttle ( http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS ) if your southbridge is supported by it or one of many other slowdown utilities .

Reply 19 of 19, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-17, 03:20:
iVirtualZero wrote on 2021-03-17, 01:08:

I have a 1.4GHz Tualatin machine with several sound cards . So far, I have been able to run speed sensitive games like Canon Fodder and Gateway with an MT-32 simply by disabling L1 and L2 caches with SETMUL . I have even been able to play games as old as Space Quest 3 with no issues . I would hazard to guess that most of the DOS game from the nineties onward could be made to run on that fast a machine just by disabling caches (either that or I have been very lucky).

If you need to go even slower, you might be able to halve your speed by forcing FSB to 66MHz instead of 133MHz, if your motherboard BIOS allows that or use something like Throttle ( http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS ) if your southbridge is supported by it or one of many other slowdown utilities .

Thanks i’m a bit noob when it comes to Retro PC gaming. But it’s great to hear that there are ways to getting those speed sensitive games to work. I will definitely get around to trying this if i come across a game that is speed sensitive. Most of my games in my collection are from the mid to late 90’s and have no such issues besides my copy of Sonic and Knuckles which runs way too fast.