VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am working on recreating my Tomato 4DPS 486 that died. Of course, some things will be different. For example, I had a faded-black DVD-ROM drive in the last one, simply because it was what I had on hand at the time. I am going all beige with this build, and I am going with period correctness when possible, with the exception of hard disks (using CF and SD cards with adapters.) I remember reading a while back that there are some CD-ROM titles that don't work well with anything beyond 4x speed. I have a yellowed 2x speed drive, and the rest are ##x speed. I am trying to find a beige 4x speed that will hopefully read CD-R discs (I used to have one, but it died, long ago.)

In the meantime, I will have to put a ##X drive in the machine, until I can find a suitable quad speed with CD-R compatibility. Is there a list somewhere with speed sensitive games? I know that there are throttle programs that work with *some* drives, so that is an option, as long as I stick to the 1994-1996 era and is CD-R compatible. There used to be a list of drive models that also listed whether or not they were CD-R compatible, with listed speeds. I back up all my games (I am going to buy an Imation CD stakka, for fun) and I sometimes use CD-Rs to move files from one PC to the other (though I will eventually get networking up and running under Windows 3.11.)

A quad speed, CD-R compatible in beige is the desired component, though I can go with a 6x or 8x if it is within the mid-90's time frame, can be throttled, is beige, and can read CD-Rs. Bonus if it has an MPC2 label on it (because I am a nostalgia driven nerd.)

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 2 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use CDBeQuiet! to slow down compatible drives under pure DOS. It's made by forum member @Locutus and works quite well.

Just how slow you can go may depend on your device model. As an example, my Lite-On DVD drive goes down to 4x while my MSI drive can only reach 6x. I mostly use this tool for keeping the drives quiet. Never had any issues with games so far.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think your major limitation will be availability. A 4x drive will be about 25 years old. More then enough time for lasers or the rubber belt to degrade and most people even now prefer the replace rather then repair option when they do die.
4x drive will still have hit or miss CDR compatibility so do your research should you find a drive.

Which games do you own that don't like faster drives? I know the spin up/down times on faster games have a negative impact but good chance you can just NO-CD these games anyway.
And any game that uses CD audio that you don't want to No-CD as you'll loose music aren't affected as the music keeps the drive spun up anyway.