VOGONS

First post, by Zoulz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings, I have a little problem getting a 3.5" floppy drive to work with my 486 build (ASUS PVI-486AP4 mobo). It's connected via a goldstar prime 2c mk3 controller card. But when set as the A drive in the bios I get a error message at bootup: "floppy disk(s) fail (40)". However, if I set it as the B drive it works fine and I can use it in dos. I looked at the jumpers on the controller card, but as far as I can tell they are correct. I could just let it be the B drive, but some software probably assume you have a A drive. Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

jumpers on the floppy drive, or straight cable? 'normally' floppy cable has few wires twisted between drive B and drive A connector, with drive A connector and controller connector being on the ends of the cable.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 7, by Zoulz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-11, 22:15:

jumpers on the floppy drive, or straight cable? 'normally' floppy cable has few wires twisted between drive B and drive A connector, with drive A connector and controller connector being on the ends of the cable.

The cable i'm using is for one drive only, so it only has controller-drive connectors. It doesn't appear to be twisted at any end. Do floppy drives have jumpers? I guess I should check that out.

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need the make and model of the floppy drive. Most older ones have jumpers, most newer 3.5" do not and need a twisted cable to drive (except for a few rare boards like Compaqs, etc).

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by Zoulz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm thinking it has to be the mobo that is causing this issue. I dug out a second floppy drive and a two-drive cable and I still get the same thing with both the drives. If I remove the A drive assignment from the bios it works, otherwise just floppy drive fail error 40. The lights on the floppy's turn on and they make a sound at bootup (just as you'd expect). Since it's working with only the B drive assigned I guess there is not any problem with the cable or controller card. Digging through the mobo manual to see if there is some kind of jumper that could be doing this. The mobo doesn't seem to have a onboard floppy controller (which I found weird and is the reason I bought a ISA controller card for that purpose). It has a onboard IDE controller though.

Reply 5 of 7, by Zoulz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-03-11, 23:26:

Need the make and model of the floppy drive. Most older ones have jumpers, most newer 3.5" do not and need a twisted cable to drive (except for a few rare boards like Compaqs, etc).

I'm guessing they are newer ones. They don't seem to have any visible jumpers. The first one is a samsung SFD-321B and the other one is a compaq floppy drive 161697-FB0.

Reply 6 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe your controller card has a failed circuit for the 'first' drive.

You could try the controller card in another machine with two floppydrives connected,setup in bios and test them both ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Without the twist in the cable, it is always going to only work as drive B unless the drive itself has special jumpers to configure it to work as A on a straight cable.

http://www.nullmodem.com/Floppy.htm

One option would be to create the proper twist in the cable with your current cable so it will work as the A drive.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK