VOGONS

First post, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all and I hope everyone is bearing up ok?

I decided to utilise this old Acer tower with its internal floppy to install DOS 6.22 onto a SD card adapter to then transfer it back into my thin t5710 thin client (I know the Acer is a beaut but I like the quick release drives and inside its an Abit IS-10 OEM)
The first problem was the internal video on the Acer was not displaying a screen, so I removed the board and ran it on my bench and finally replaced a faulty stick of ram and all seemed well!
I then refitted the board back inside the Acer tower and rebooted with my original dos 6.22 disk but I noticed the drive light was inactive?
Checking the power cable, I realised I had at sometime fitted a splitter cable to allowed a second drive (Gotek) and decided to remove this cable and power directly and bobs your uncle and the 3.5 floppy is receiving power but not being detected in the bios? I then notice and flipped the floppy ribbon cable that had been inserted upside down and went about my business installing dos.

Now this morning while sat drinking my tea I notice the splitter cable had melted on the 5v at both ends and more or less dead centre (see pics) I'm a little concerned about this? can anyone throw some light on this before it throws some light on me?
Should I buy a new PSU to replace my OCZ600SXS that although is getting on a bit, its hardly had any use probably switched on about 30 times!
I notice the splitter uses AWG22 (41A) gage cable whereas my OCZ psu uses AWG20 (58.5A) so does that mean my SONY Floppy MPF920 rated at 960mA was drawing 40 Amps?

I'm at a loss and any help would be great thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0009.jpg
    File size
    417.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0008.jpg
    File size
    471.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0006.jpg
    File size
    371.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0005.jpg
    File size
    350.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0001.jpg
    File size
    682.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 2, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there
interestingly there was no white smoke but you have just reminded me a day or two before, I thought I noticed something out the corner of my eye but having refocused I just assumed it was my glasses needed cleaning and of course they did!
funny thing is there was no smell?

oh my I'm feeling old, yes long gone are the days people used to tell me to slow down whilst showing them something on the screen!

its interesting because I wouldn't say my psu is a cheapo but it did exactly the same thing and kept going

I'm currently running it with the drives outside the case watching the drive power connectors, while trying to install OS/2 warp 4.5 onto 16gb SD card / ide adapter which is great fun! its showing 120mb! I remember trying to install os2.3.0 and giving up in 1995 oh happy days before the world went completely mad!
oh and every now and then, isolating the machine from the mains and thoroughly checking for burning cables!