VOGONS

First post, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All, I'm Guy, 48, from the north of England. I recently abandoned a PII build because a weird mobo meant Win 98SE drivers were a nightmare. I nearly gave up on getting a late 90's gaming computer up and running when I scored a free computer from work (I work in IT in the nuclear industry). It's a Pentium 166MHz MMX with 256MB of EDO memory and a small GForce 2 PCI card. The issue I'm having is identifying the motherboard. I think it's a Supermicro, the logo is the word Super followed by a filled in circle. It says P5-XTRA on it but Googling isn't really finding anything. I want to upgrade the CPU to the 200MHz Pentium MMX or AMD K6 from my CPU collection but will obviously need to set some jumpers. Any ideas?

ptr.jpg

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 2 of 13, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks PARKE, These are the labels up close but still not finding much. Can we confirm if this logo is even supermicro?

oznor-COQR.jpg

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 3 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's indeed a Supermicro.
Here general info:
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/supermicro/SUPER%20P5XTRA.htm

Here an ovevview of jumper settings:
ftp://retronn.de/mirrors/www.elhvb.com_moboki … 30HX_Jumper.htm
(scroll down)

Reply 5 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One remark: it seems that this board is quite early and does not support MMX cpu's. If so you need a non-MMX cpu like this one:

Attachments

• p54.jpg
    Filename
    p54.jpg
    File size
    241.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2021-03-15, 14:21:

One remark: it seems that this board is quite early and does not support MMX cpu's. If so you need a non-MMX cpu like this one:

fyi on your first link it does say MMX is supported.
the jumper settings just say that non-MMX cpu's require the following jumpers to be set to ...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 13, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a bit of an odd board for socket 7. It came with a Pentium 166MHz MMX so does support it but it doesn't support a 75MHz bus speed or 2.2 volt vCore so it doesn't support AMD K5 or K6 chips which I thought Socket 7 boards were supposed to.

Reply 9 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ICS9169C frequency generator chip in the upper right section supports also 55, 75, and 83.3 bus speeds but Supermicro has obviously chosen, for reasons unknown, to make only 50, 60 and 66.6 bus speeds available via the 3x2 jumper setup.

Filename
ICSIS00968-1.pdf
File size
240.68 KiB
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 13, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/8203
added to UH19

I've added the bios but can't extract the string at work. If you have a different revision on your board, please make a dump as well before upgrading.