VOGONS

Running an Am5x86 at 5v?

Topic actions

First post, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I've got myself one of the infamous M919 486 boards with the fake "write back" cache on it. I've got a cache module en-route for it so it's not actually as bad as it could be, and aside from that is a relatively nice board, what with PCI and VLB.

Anyway, I digress. I had been using the setup with a 486 DX2-66, but had an AMD Am5x86 133 chip lying around so thought I'd make some use of it. Now I've tried varying configurations of the CPU jumpers to get the board configured for a 5x86, but no matter what I was trying, my POST test card was showing ----, i.e. brain dead.

As I was re-configuring the board back to the settings for a 486 DX2, assuming the Am5x86 was dead, I put the wrong CPU back in and low and behold it booted just fine. Turns out that when the board is set to 3.3v or 4v, I don't get anything. When set to 5v, the system magically works.

Now 5v is a massive overvolt for a 5x86 (44% overvolt from 3.45v), but I do have a decent heatsink and fan (far larger than your average 486-era affair) and it's not getting even warm to the touch.

Am I likely to kill this 5x86? Does anyone know if I can test the board to see if it's even producing a core voltage when set to 3.3v or 4v (perhaps it's the board at fault here)?

Advice most welcome!

Reply 1 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How long it will work is unpredictable. It certainly could work at that voltage, but may degrade in stability over time.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 25, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe there is something wrong with the voltage regulator?
Personally, I wouldn't want to overvolt my 25 year old CPU on a permanent basis and potentially shorten its lifespan.

Reply 3 of 25, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a later revision M919 that has the proprietary cache slot and had the same issue getting an AMD 5x86 133 running on it.

I found the same thing in that the chip doesn't seem to get hot. Supposedly there is a pin in the CPU socket you can ground which on supported boards will switch the voltages from 5V to 3.3V. I haven't taken a multi-meter to it, but it's possible that when that pin is grounded it's cutting the voltage to the chip so setting jumpers to 3.3 or 4V could cut the voltage too low for the chip to run.

I haven't used this configuration too much, but it seems fine so far.

Reply 4 of 25, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about M919 , but many S3 boards sometimes support power detection sense with DX4 cpus. Thus if you put a 3.3V CPU with low signal on VOLTDET pin (Intel DX4, AMD DX2/DX4, Cyrix 5x86, ...) they automatically switch to 3.3/3.45V irrespectively if you have your jumpers set to 5V.

The only way is to check the voltage by multimeter.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 25, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try to use the 5x86, but jumper it for 75 MHz (3 x 25 MHz). See if it boots then at 3.3 or 4.0 V. My suspicion is the VRM is outputting lower voltage then it should, but it might be enough to run the CPU at such a lower frequency. I have an Asus PVI-486SP3 that exhibited very similar behaviour, any 3.3 V CPU I tried refused to work above ~80 MHz, I would get the same sad ---- on the diagnostic card. Turned out the VRM was only providing about 2.4 V instead of 3.3 V.

Best would be to just measure the VRM output with a multimeter, if you have one.

Reply 6 of 25, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, the CPU won't boot at any speed when set to 3.3 or 4v.

mpe wrote on 2021-03-15, 14:05:

Not sure about M919 , but many S3 boards sometimes support power detection sense with DX4 cpus. Thus if you put a 3.3V CPU with low signal on VOLTDET pin (Intel DX4, AMD DX2/DX4, Cyrix 5x86, ...) they automatically switch to 3.3/3.45V irrespectively if you have your jumpers set to 5V.

The only way is to check the voltage by multimeter.

Do you happen to know the pinout/where I can measure the VID?

Reply 7 of 25, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you mean the voltage then you can measure between any VSS and VCC pin (highlighted blue and red below) on the picture below. This is the pinout as you see in the socket.

Attachments

• Intel DX4-WB.jpg
    Filename
    Intel DX4-WB.jpg
    File size
    91.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 8 of 25, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2021-03-15, 14:49:

If you mean the voltage then you can measure between any VSS and VCC pin (highlighted blue and red below) on the picture below. This is the pinout as you see in the socket.

S4 on the pinout is the VOLTDET pin. I believe it needs to be grounded by connecting it to one of the VSS pins for the voltage drop to occur.

Reply 9 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CPU will eventually die when ran at 5V, the silicon is not meant to handle it and has breakdown voltages just at this edge.
The onboard voltage regulator is likely dead, I have had to replace transistors etc. before on few boards I have around which brought them back to life.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 25, by macroexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honest question, I have one that I've run at 5V (with active cooling) before, though currently running at stock voltage/speed.

Question: Has anyone ever killed one at 5V? I've heard this repeated many times "it will eventually die" but - is there actual experience of this occurring?

Tiido wrote on 2021-03-15, 18:59:

The CPU will eventually die when ran at 5V, the silicon is not meant to handle it and has breakdown voltages just at this edge.

Reply 11 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually you'll get silicon degradation which may lower overclocking potential or, in worst case, stability on stock speed. Then again, it's a slow process and it won't happen in one day. AFAIK nobody really documented how bad it could be on fairly robust lithography.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a m919 and you can check the cpu voltage on either center leg of the two reg chips or (safer) the big solder pad under them against ground. They seem to run in parallel with their outputs combined (old observation on one of my notes but could be wrong).
added: mine has two Vreg chips, have seen some board revs that have just one.
Easier than trying to find a specific pin or via to check on back of board. Best to check it w/o cpu and then with cpu when set to 3.3v or 4v and compare. Should be a bit a V drop with cpu but not more than a few tenths of volt...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
macroexp wrote on 2021-03-15, 23:55:

Question: Has anyone ever killed one at 5V? I've heard this repeated many times "it will eventually die" but - is there actual experience of this occurring?

A friend ran his 5x86 at 5V unknowingly and even with proper cooling the CPU started to get unstable after few weeks of use and then stopped working altogether. It definitely happens, it just takes some time. A lot of 3.3V devices can run at 5V for a little while but it is firmly beyond their safe operating area and there will be damage happening.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 14 of 25, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Done some probing with the multimeter without a CPU installed.

On a VCC pin:

When set to 3.3v the board gives 3.52v.
When set to 4.0v the board gives 4.03v
When set to 5.0v the board gives 5.11v

On the VRM (my board has a single VRM on the right side when looking down on the board from the VLB end):

Regardless of what voltage is set, the left pin is 4.05v, the middle pin is 5.17v, and the right pin is 3.55v. The large pad under the VRM is 5.17v.

Seems that the board is generating the right VCC for the CPU, but the CPU doesn't boot at anything other than 5v.

Already failing CPU is the most likely I guess.

Reply 15 of 25, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2021-03-17, 11:48:
Done some probing with the multimeter without a CPU installed. […]
Show full quote

On a VCC pin:

On the VRM (my board has a single VRM on the right side when looking down on the board from the VLB end):

Did you ground the VOLTDET pin and receive the same voltages?

Reply 16 of 25, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2021-03-17, 12:00:
paradigital wrote on 2021-03-17, 11:48:
Done some probing with the multimeter without a CPU installed. […]
Show full quote

On a VCC pin:

Did you ground the VOLTDET pin and receive the same voltages?

I hadn't remembered to try so have just done that now.

Regardless of S4 (VOLTDET) tied low or not the VCC is the same, follows what is set on the board (3.3v, 4v or 5v respectively).

EDIT:

I've no idea if either of my DX2-66's or my original 486 DX (33) are capable of running undervolted or not, but none of the three will run at 25MHz bus @ 4v on this board either, granted it's a 20% undervolt, but it's also a 25% underclock.

Reply 17 of 25, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I've ordered a cheap Cyrix CPU that's meant to run at 3.3-3.6v and we shall see. If the Cyrix ends up booting with the board set to 3.3v or 4v then I guess my Am5x86 is already dying?

If neither boot, well then I'm just plain confused.

Reply 18 of 25, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so Cyrix DX2 v66 turned up and it too will not boot with the board set to 3.3v or 4v. Interstingly though, the VRM behaves differently with the Cyrix installed (I guess it’s VOLTDET pin it grounded internally), the left and middle legs of the VRM show 5.06v, but the right pin only 2.06v or 2.19v respectively when the board is 3.3 or4v.

Looking like I need to do a VRM replacement.

Does anyone know if the passive components for a dual-VRM setup are present on the single VRM variant of the board? Tempted to put a 2nd in.

Reply 19 of 25, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cyrix 486 has quite a different pinout to other 486 CPUs. It doesn't have VOLDET pin. That pin on Cyrix is used for cache invalidation as far as I remember.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4