VOGONS

First post, by reddrake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

Let me describe the situation when trying to upgrade a sound card from AWE64 Value to AWE64 Gold.

Here is my current system configuration:

• CPU: Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz;
  • RAM: (3x)Micron ECC Registered SDRAM 512Mb PC133;
  • Motherboard: Shuttle Spacewalker AV18E2 (AV18V31) with VIA 694T + 686B chipset;
  • Videocard: Palit (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT);
  • HDD SCSI: (2x)Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 73Gb;
  • SCSI controller: Adaptec ASC-29160N;
  • CD, DVD drive: NEC ND-3550A (48x DVD-RW), YAMAHA CRW-F1 (44x CD-RW);
  • ATX power supply: Delta DPS-550HB A 550W;
  • 3DFX accelerator: (2x)3Dfx V2-1000 (3Dfx Voodoo 2);
  • Network card: 3Com 3C905B-COMBO;
  • Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520;
  • TV tuner: Beholder M6 Extra.

All hardware with AWE64 Value works perfectly. But with installation of AWE64 Gold CT4390 sound card, some problems start to appear.
First of all, with new sound card installed the floppy drive reads diskettes without any issues, but any attempts to write something break the file system on diskette, and formatting also fails.
This issue appears on any operating systems (tested in MS-DOS 6.22, MS-DOS 7.1, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP).
I didn't find any IRQ, DMA or I/O conflicts with this hardware set.
Running tests in AMIDIAG gives me some interesting details:

• Running any FDD R/W test - return one of the errors: "Data written/data read mismatch", "DMA overrun error".
  • Running serial port tests for COM1 - return error when checking FIFO, for example: "Port 03FDh, Data Written 00Fh, Data read 0043h" (will fail with any port selected in BIOS, 3F8 or 3E8, no matters). One time I received "FIFO character timeout indication error at port 3E8";
  • Running serial port tests for COM2 - no errors.

And one time the BIOS has been corrupted for some unknown reason, I had to reflash it with a TL866 programmer.

I tried different things to fix the issue:

1. Disable all internal devices (COM2, LPT) - no effect.
  2. Remove all PCI boards and replaced the VGA adapter with S3 Trio 3D/2X - no effect.
  3. Replace the power supply - no effect.

If I'll put the AWE64 Value CT4520 back, all errors will go away, and FDD will work as expected (reading/writing data without any problem).

I tested the AWE64 Gold CT4390 with different motherboads and different Intel and VIA chipsets - no any issues with FDD and serial ports.

I can only guess such probable causes of this problem:

1. Motherboard or chipset failure;
  2. AWE64 Gold failure;
  3. Incompatibility of the motherboard and CT4390;
  4. Something related to bug with VIA 686B south bridge.

Any ideas what I can try to do? If some reports from test utilities are needed, I'll post it.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes could be something with the bottom #3 or #4 but is hard to tell.
Being it has issues with all those OS am suspecting there is a IRQ/DMA conflict that only occurs when accessing the floppy drive which would be hard to detect when running a test as they do not check with certain items being accessed.
Curious if you have had this Gold AWE for a while or just purchased it off Ebay/etc ? If so could be #2
Added: pull the Tv Tuner, 3Com NIC and Voodoos out and see what happens.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 13, by reddrake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-03-17, 00:09:
Yes could be something with the bottom #3 or #4 but is hard to tell. Being it has issues with all those OS am suspecting there […]
Show full quote

Yes could be something with the bottom #3 or #4 but is hard to tell.
Being it has issues with all those OS am suspecting there is a IRQ/DMA conflict that only occurs when accessing the floppy drive which would be hard to detect when running a test as they do not check with certain items being accessed.
Curious if you have had this Gold AWE for a while or just purchased it off Ebay/etc ? If so could be #2
Added: pull the Tv Tuner, 3Com NIC and Voodoos out and see what happens.....

Yes, I purchased my AWE64 Gold in the local market flea market, and I haven't faced such problems for a while.
As I mentioned before, I have tested the configuration without any PCI cards (even the SCSI adapter, booting from IDE disk), and replaced the VGA adapter with simple S3 Trio 3D - issue still persists.

And one more thing I forgot to mention: EEPROM on CT4390 was reflashed with the correct dump - same result, issue still persists.

Reply 3 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

out of curiosity...

when you take a good floppy and read a known good textfile with the sb gold in the computer, visually inspect the text, can you see errors in the text file ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 13, by reddrake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-17, 10:32:

out of curiosity...

when you take a good floppy and read a known good textfile with the sb gold in the computer, visually inspect the text, can you see errors in the text file ?

Sorry for the photo taken from my phone...

With the AWE64 Value card installed I successfully copied the README.TXT from Win98 boot diskette.
With the AWE64 Gold card installed when I tried to copy the same text file named README2.TXT I received this:

20210317_143112.jpg
Filename
20210317_143112.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Of course, I can't open these "files".
And the issue will appear with any working FDD drive, tested with NEC FD1231, EPSON SMD-300 and EPSON SD-800.

Also I have swapped the IRQs for COM ports and have started the serial tests in AMIDIAG again - received FIFO error on both COM1 and COM2 ports, like this:

20210317_143453.jpg
Filename
20210317_143453.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
reddrake wrote on 2021-03-17, 12:14:

With the AWE64 Value card installed I successfully copied the README.TXT from Win98 boot diskette.
With the AWE64 Gold card installed when I tried to copy the same text file named README2.TXT I received this:

It seems like the sb gold is somehow picking up on accesses to the io ports for the com port and fdd controller.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a PnP issue.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 6 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using Unisound to initialize the AWE64 Gold instead of Creative's drivers.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 13, by reddrake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-03-17, 12:36:

Try using Unisound to initialize the AWE64 Gold instead of Creative's drivers.

UNISOUND didn't help me. AWE64 Gold was initialized correctly, and playback works fine, but i still lose data while writing to diskette. And even if I disable the sound card by using /D key, the floppy issue still persists.

Reply 8 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems that the I/O decoder on the AWE64 Gold is broken, and responds to port addresses it is not suppose to respond to. The affected components all reside at a very similar address range: COM1 is either at 3E8-3EF or 3F8-3FF, and the floppy controller at 3F0-3F7 is exactly between them. The AWE64 Gold is not supposed to affect transfers on those addresses if it is properly configured. I don't understand yet how this failure mode can affect floppy writing, but doesn't affect floppy reading. This would sound more like a DMA problem, but the serial ports don't use DMA for sure.

Can you test the AWE64 Gold in a different computer, preferably a system running the chipset (and thus the ISA signals) at 5V? As far as I remember, the 430HX Pentium chipset still used "proper" 5V levels on the ISA address and data lines, but the 430TX chipset uses 3.3V CMOS levels that happen to correctly interact with 5V TTL levels (what ISA is specified for), but fails on some cards that expect 5V CMOS levels (some revisions of the AVM Fritz!Card are known to have problems in this regard). if that AWE64 Gold disturbs floppy/serial access on a 486-class computer the same way, it is very likely that the card is broken. If it works fine in a 486-class computer, it might be that either the AWE64 or the mainboard is marginal on ISA signalling.

Reply 9 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2021-03-17, 19:08:

It seems that the I/O decoder on the AWE64 Gold is broken, and responds to port addresses it is not suppose to respond to. The affected components all reside at a very similar address range: COM1 is either at 3E8-3EF or 3F8-3FF, and the floppy controller at 3F0-3F7 is exactly between them. The AWE64 Gold is not supposed to affect transfers on those addresses if it is properly configured. I don't understand yet how this failure mode can affect floppy writing, but doesn't affect floppy reading. This would sound more like a DMA problem, but the serial ports don't use DMA for sure.

Can you test the AWE64 Gold in a different computer, preferably a system running the chipset (and thus the ISA signals) at 5V? As far as I remember, the 430HX Pentium chipset still used "proper" 5V levels on the ISA address and data lines, but the 430TX chipset uses 3.3V CMOS levels that happen to correctly interact with 5V TTL levels (what ISA is specified for), but fails on some cards that expect 5V CMOS levels (some revisions of the AVM Fritz!Card are known to have problems in this regard). if that AWE64 Gold disturbs floppy/serial access on a 486-class computer the same way, it is very likely that the card is broken. If it works fine in a 486-class computer, it might be that either the AWE64 or the mainboard is marginal on ISA signalling.

Ok, now OP has me confused about what works with the sbawegold and floppy combo and what not, but no matter.
OP is using sbawegold on a VIA mainboard so the i430Tx idea is off the table. too bad, I kinda liked it.
Also from the first comment op tried the sbawegold in other computers without any glitch.
So... Beats me. 😀

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-17, 19:25:
Ok, now OP has me confused about what works with the sbawegold and floppy combo and what not, but no matter. OP is using sbaweg […]
Show full quote

Ok, now OP has me confused about what works with the sbawegold and floppy combo and what not, but no matter.
OP is using sbawegold on a VIA mainboard so the i430Tx idea is off the table. too bad, I kinda liked it.
Also from the first comment op tried the sbawegold in other computers without any glitch.
So... Beats me. 😀

The VIA mainboard is newer than the i430TX, so VIA might have tried to pull the same 3.3V-only stunt on the ISA bus that Intel started with the PIIX4. It worked quite well for Intel, so I don't see why competitors that usually work under higher market pressure wouldn't also try to skip the costs for true 5V ISA signalling. So that idea doesn't seem completely of the table. I didn't read the OP well enough, so I didn't notice that the card was already tested in a different computer, which makes my question obsolete. The card obviously isn't completely broken.

I suppose the OP doesn't have a scope, but if a scope a present, scoping the ISA address lines A0..A9, especially checking the "high" level of those lines, might be a good hardware trouble-shooting step.

Reply 11 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2021-03-17, 22:09:

The VIA mainboard is newer than the i430TX, so VIA might have tried to pull the same 3.3V-only stunt on the ISA bus that Intel started with the PIIX4. It worked quite well for Intel, so I don't see why competitors that usually work under higher market pressure wouldn't also try to skip the costs for true 5V ISA signalling. So that idea doesn't seem completely of the table. I didn't read the OP well enough, so I didn't notice that the card was already tested in a different computer, which makes my question obsolete. The card obviously isn't completely broken.

I suppose the OP doesn't have a scope, but if a scope a present, scoping the ISA address lines A0..A9, especially checking the "high" level of those lines, might be a good hardware trouble-shooting step.

True, though from looking at the datasheet, page 24, seems a lot of multiplexing going on, and looking at a photo online, I'm guessing those address lines are buffered with a 74HCT245.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 12 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

reddrake, while you're at it, could you run this http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/BIOSutil/Pho … ix/nvram120.exe util and post or attach the output of it, probably not gonna show anything but maybe we get lucky.
run it in plain dos. like F5 boot dos.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 13 of 13, by reddrake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-17, 23:24:

reddrake, while you're at it, could you run this http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/BIOSutil/Pho … ix/nvram120.exe util and post or attach the output of it, probably not gonna show anything but maybe we get lucky.
run it in plain dos. like F5 boot dos.

Here is a dump of NVRAM:

Filename
NVRAM_dump.zip
File size
700 Bytes
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
mkarcher wrote on 2021-03-17, 22:09:

Fortunately, I have an old analog scope. Not the best choice, of course, but that's all I have. Also I can use my DSLogic U3Basic logic analyzer, if necessary.