VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks weedeewee, but what I mean is that I'm trying to test slot one through the motherboard back

back.jpg

SSTV2, i'm not 100% sure, but tracks look fine. SMD seem ok but I don't know how to test them correctly, this is just a visual check.
CPU and PSU are fine, i've tested with other components (even an old PSU that give the -5V voltage).

One strange thing is that the motherboard looks like an OEM one (some jumpers aren't at the same place and I have no FAN headers on board). I don't think that this OEM board requires a special OEM BIOS, what do you think about that ?

Reply 21 of 26, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The OEM bios thing is a good direction to look, as well as the deep clean. I tried to flash a retail bios to a fic socket a HP board and ended up bricking it entirely, even after the recap and reflashing the HP bios. Maybe try to find another set of compatible pc 100/133/66mhz in the 32mb/64mb/128mb capacities as well as an early p2 cpu just to test things out. Iv had some old slot 1 boards be really picky with ram and other ones literally take anything. Same with CPU's.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22 of 26, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing is that I don't know where to find the good OEM BIOS to test...The board was shipped to me with an AMI BIOS sticker on the EEPROM. I've seen on MSI website that there are AMI and AWARD BIOS for this board.
I have already made a deep clean, may be not that good, I will retry.
I have tested with 3 different P2 (2 2.9V ones and 1 2.0V. Probing on capacitors near SLOT 1, I can see the voltage is OK) with no success.
Tested with different memory stick too...I don't think that bad memory can lead to this "0000" POST code.

I'm out of any other idea 😒

Reply 23 of 26, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some boards just suck. I had a Emachine's Slot 1 board that 100% checked out as fine post the 3rd time with a particular 266mhz p2 and nothing else, and weird jumper settings that made no sense, but not the other 10 times with different parts and correct jumper settings. Wasted an afternoon and binned it

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 24 of 26, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At the moment the motherboard is in white vinegar. I'll then clean it using isopropyl alcohol and I will try with all Pentium 2 CPU I have 😀
I received it with a P2 350 that was working at 233 I think...strange match.

Reply 25 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
parhelia512 wrote on 2021-03-18, 09:14:

At the moment the motherboard is in white vinegar. I'll then clean it using isopropyl alcohol and I will try with all Pentium 2 CPU I have 😀
I received it with a P2 350 that was working at 233 I think...strange match.

350 at 233 = FSB@66MHz

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 26 of 26, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, sure, but the 350 would have been a better candidate for BX board.
Cleaning done.
I have been searching the web and the board might be a Fujitsu OEM. Looking at an old web page, it looks like Fujitsu was using original Award MSI BIOSes.
Have hot flashed the BIOS with Award one and...same result 😒

Really strange that the CPU won't heat up...One voltage must be wrong somewhere !