VOGONS

First post, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Supermicro P5-XTRA has a pair of transistors clamped to a black aluminium heatsink near to the CPU socket. The heatsink runs extremely hot and I noticed on Amazon that you can get tiny 5v 30mm fans with two connectors, each designed to fit a jumper style pin. Given that the LED headers for power and turbo run 5v, I was thinking of getting one of these tiny fans to permanently blow on the heatsink. Has anyone tried this 🤔?

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 2 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it might work but those leds take less power than a fan. it's kinda risky in my book I bet those lights are powered by very small solid state switches. though the power led header may just be a hardwire to 5v. you may be able to verify by following traces. if so that may be safe.

at own risk 😀 personally I wouldn't risk it. but if you do, let us know how bad of an idea it was 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 10, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt that LED headers would power a fan, because they have to be current limited (likely through a resistor), otherwise LED would blow up instantly, because by itself it takes unlimited power.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 4 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
adalbert wrote on 2021-03-22, 19:56:

I doubt that LED headers would power a fan, because they have to be current limited (likely through a resistor), otherwise LED would blow up instantly, because by itself it takes unlimited power.

correct

Reply 5 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-03-22, 20:30:
adalbert wrote on 2021-03-22, 19:56:

correct

I've plugged leds into 3v batteries before without a resistor didn't seem to be shorting it. are the batteries just that slow at discharging?
can you explain this unlimited current thing? I didn't recall this.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A led is a type of diode, so if you connect it directly between Vcc and GND it will pretty much draw as much current as it is able to. And in a motherboard the PSU can output up to 20-30A on the 5V line, so it would pretty much blow instantly.

As for your experience with the battery, I guess it would depend on how much higher the battery voltage is compared to the led forward voltage, and also how much current the battery can deliver. In most cases it will probably end up burning sooner or later.

Reply 7 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-03-23, 02:46:

A led is a type of diode, so if you connect it directly between Vcc and GND it will pretty much draw as much current as it is able to. And in a motherboard the PSU can output up to 20-30A on the 5V line, so it would pretty much blow instantly.

As for your experience with the battery, I guess it would depend on how much higher the battery voltage is compared to the led forward voltage, and also how much current the battery can deliver. In most cases it will probably end up burning sooner or later.

interesting. 🤔 seems to make sense. thanks!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 10, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Batteries, especially smaller ones can indeed provide limited current, because they have so called internal resistance (just like they would have resistor wired in series with them). All batteries have internal resistance, but with large ones it is so small that it doesn't matter. Coin cells can have pretty high internal resistance, several ohms sometimes. Discharged or old batteries can also have higher internal resistance.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 9 of 10, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're all correct, it didn't work 😄. I wired it into the 5v on a molex connector instead.

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 10 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
adalbert wrote on 2021-03-23, 11:11:

Batteries, especially smaller ones can indeed provide limited current, because they have so called internal resistance (just like they would have resistor wired in series with them). All batteries have internal resistance, but with large ones it is so small that it doesn't matter. Coin cells can have pretty high internal resistance, several ohms sometimes. Discharged or old batteries can also have higher internal resistance.

makes perfect sense.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-