VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These SIMM have IBM made chips in group of 9 chips of 4 bits each all identical to make parity of 36 bits wide. No matter what I set the sense detect pins correctly (Industry or IBM) I kept getting error right away during memory test POST on this compaq Deskpro 4/33i. Even set to 4MB 80ns with these IBM sticks still produces error. Exchange them all out for another correctly designed SIMMs worked.

When I exchanged for any SIMMs they works listed:

8 x 4MB x 4 bits with 4 x 4mb 1bit
8 x 4MB x 4 bits with single 4MB x 4 bits of the quad CAS 24 pin IC
2x 4mb x 16bits with 4 x 4mb 1 bits
2x 4mb x 16bits with single 4mb x 4bits of the quad CAS 24 pin IC
4x 4MB x 8 bits with single 4mb 4 bit quad CAS IC 24 pin IC
4x 4mb x 8 bits with 4x 4mb x 1 bit.

parity 72 pins modules requires 4 cas lines to work right especially for the four bit parity chips. that odd IBM made 4mb of 9 chips all same of 4 bits each does not work correctly. I was not happy that I have small collection of these I can not use.

This beyonds me how did IBM managed to able to use these in their IBM yet other SIMMs above will also work in theirs as well?!

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is IBM 😀 They did odd things with many early boards, specially thru 486 era where other OEM stuck to more classic rules with RAM and other parts.
But also many old IBM boards will not work proper with other OEM parts. I have a love-hate thing with IBM.
Great they built first good PC's for regular people but also hate their slow adoption of better compatibility like many other OEMs' did
even though IBM invented many of the better options.
What other company decided to use micro channel ? 🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normal IBM!

look for part numbers. it will be in the format: ##F#### (may not be an F). When you google that number, it will tell you the ONE AND ONLY IBM machine it was designed to work in.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know what FRU # are for since back then when I was into IBM PS/2 I played with them. Eventually gave up and moved on to standard PC stuff like compaq and clones. Reason for moving on was lack of sound cards for MCA.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.