VOGONS

First post, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently got this 286 board from the flea market, yet another one of those Suntac 286 boards, of which Predator99 has one in this thread: Suntac 80286 Mainboards

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
539.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/955

As usual, it came packed with a Varta killer, which ate away some of the traces near the keyboard controller. After some careful soldering, I patched the broken traces in that area and replaced the corroded parts with new ones.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately, the board does not show any signs of life, no beeps, no POST codes. Sometimes, the IRDY led lights up on the POST card , sometimes not.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license

On the scope, I can see some activity on the CPU address lines, but not on the data lines (I see activity there when the IRDY led is on).

Other things I tried so far:
- Landmark Supersoft: no beep codes
- other BIOS images: again, no beeps
- reflowed and cleaned the CPU socket

Right now, I'm stuck in the diagnostic process, not sure what should I try next to make it show any sign of life.
Is there a clock signal generated in the RTC area (where the battery leaked) which is required for the CPU to run code from the ROM or something ?
If anyone has experience with these Suntac boards (or other early 286 boards), some advice would be appreciated.

P.S: if anyone is interested, I dumped the BIOS images and uploaded them in the UH19 page of this board (link above).

Reply 3 of 6, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reset signal seems to be fine, the led on the post card lights up for a second then turns off when board gets power.
As for the clocks, I'm not sure what to measure exactly. I tried measuring CLK on the CPU socket, but I only got a steady 5V (i get the same result on a working 286 board).

Reply 5 of 6, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And better check traces like this very carefully:

corrosion_cc.JPG
Filename
corrosion_cc.JPG
File size
27.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This is near the real time clock!
Even little spots can mean there are interruptions.
Same goes for the little copper tubes leading to the backside and layers inbetween.