VOGONS

First post, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all im having issues trying to get PS2 mouse to work on serial port using an adapter.

I am using the M5I9 motherboard, and from what I've gathered there are 2 versions of the serial port header.

so im wondering without using multimeter (currently borrowed it out and dont have access to get it back yet)
how can i find which is the correct header i need / and to identify the one i have?

I have 10 PS2 mice in total, and none of them are working with the adapter... 3 of the mice are actually optical.

if the pinout was correct and I was using the correct header, wouldn't all the opticals at least light up regardless if the driver was loaded? and using this as a multimeter?

I have also tried rotating the serial port header on the motherboard just to double check and its not working.

thanks in advance, i am kinda regretting getting this motherboard 🤣

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scott8bit wrote on 2021-03-22, 18:16:
Hi all im having issues trying to get PS2 mouse to work on serial port using an adapter. […]
Show full quote

Hi all im having issues trying to get PS2 mouse to work on serial port using an adapter.

I am using the M5I9 motherboard, and from what I've gathered there are 2 versions of the serial port header.

so im wondering without using multimeter (currently borrowed it out and dont have access to get it back yet)
how can i find which is the correct header i need / and to identify the one i have?

I have 10 PS2 mice in total, and none of them are working with the adapter... 3 of the mice are actually optical.

if the pinout was correct and I was using the correct header, wouldn't all the opticals at least light up regardless if the driver was loaded? and using this as a multimeter?

I have also tried rotating the serial port header on the motherboard just to double check and its not working.

For a PS/2 mouse to work on a serial port using the common passive adapters, it must support serial protocol. AFAIK, most newer mice do not .

A 20$ multimeter (for low voltage use) would be a good investment, IMHO .

Reply 2 of 8, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-22, 18:34:
Hi all im having issues trying to get PS2 mouse to work on serial port using an adapter. […]
Show full quote

For a PS/2 mouse to work on a serial port using the common passive adapters, it must support serial protocol. AFAIK, most newer mice do not .

if im using the correct header, would an optical mouse still light up regardless if protocol is supported?

Reply 3 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hate to be that guy, but you can search for this stuff:

PS/2 - serial mouse adaptor

You need an active transcoder. There are projects in the community for that. I bought one a while ago but never got around to use it:

8BIT ISA SERIAL I/O TO PS2 MOUSE

Reply 4 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scott8bit wrote on 2021-03-22, 18:48:
Show full quote

if im using the correct header, would an optical mouse still light up regardless if protocol is supported?

Technically, since the passive adapter will normally connect the PS/2 power pin (4) to to the serial port's RTS line, which should provide 5V to the PS/2 mouse, the question becomes : Is it sufficient to provide 5V power to a non serial capable PS/2 optical mouse in order for it to power on it's LED or does it require initialization/handshake first ? I don't know the answer to that and I would not be surprised if it varied between mouse models .

Here is the likely pinout for your COM ports : https://web.archive.org/web/20060128000359/ht … ips/pinout.html

Sorry for being nag, but not having a multimeter is not making this any easier .

Reply 5 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

No they do not. I tried it

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh and sorry for repeatedly nagging about the multi-meter. I re-read your original post properly and realized you own one but lent it to somebody . I somehow missed that initially .

Reply 7 of 8, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-03-22, 23:29:

No they do not. I tried it

thanks for checking 👍🏻

Reply 8 of 8, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-23, 04:50:

Oh and sorry for repeatedly nagging about the multi-meter. I re-read your original post properly and realized you own one but lent it to somebody . I somehow missed that initially .

no worries, i get it back hopefully tomorrow so can check it properly