VOGONS

First post, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All

Seeking the collective wisdom of Vogons for this one. Purchased a MSI 815 Pro socket 370 board a few weeks ago, but only recently had a chance to try it out. Looked clean in the listing but sold as-is untested (of course...)

Unfortunately, the machine won't POST. The board powers on. LED diagnostic light gets stuck on #2. According to the manual that's a RAM problem. No beeps or video and all the steps below result in no change.

Troubleshooting steps:

• Installed different RAM and tried different slots (both 100 and 133)
  • Changed CPU/RAM jumpers to every conceivable combination, from AUTO to the correct settings for installed parts
  • Tried different CPUs (both 100 and 133 FSB)
  • Tried different video cards

I can't see anything that is obviously wrong with the board. None of the caps are bulged and there's no electrolyte leakage. From what I understand that doesn't mean there isn't a cap problem though and I'm willing to attempt. This board is from smack in the middle of bad-cap era, the brand is "Tayeh."

1 - Is there any other steps I can do to try to and revive this board outside of replacing electronics on the board?
2 - Any general advice on if a capacitor (or other circuit component that I can actually test) could cause this behavior?

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0982.jpeg
    Filename