VOGONS

First post, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this motherboard and it seems as if whatever I do I cannot get a serial mouse to work.

I have tried com1, com2, changing every single setting in the bios, trying combinations, switching the orientation of the serial header, trying different known working mice, checking the continuity of my serial header, it just doesn't work. PS/2 and USB are not an option, I need serial to work.

The symptoms are as following: Windows 95, Microsoft mouse driver, logitech mouse driver, all fail to find a mouse. a certain program called "serial.com" reports 2 serial ports existing, but no devices on them when a mouse is plugged in. Cutemouse, any version, finds a mouse ONLY in mouse systems mode (any other modes fail to find a mouse), this gets a little bit further but, the mouse still doesn't actually work even if it's found by some program that uses the mouse.

There is one thing I can try but not right now. That thing is getting the serial headers that were paired with this board from the factory.

See this board actually belonged to my parents, it came in a computer that served as a replacement for a short time when our 486 "broke" (not really but we couldn't fix it at the time). And for that reason they still have that entire computer, but when I was parting those computers out to take with me, I forgot to take the various cables and headers, thinking I don't need them.

Last edited by BurnedPinguin on 2021-04-08, 09:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the serial headers there tend to be just two ways in which the headers are wired to the DE9 connector
same pin number for the header to the same pin number for the connecter ie 1-1 2-2 etc...
and the other being
1-1
2-6
3-2
4-7
5-3
6-8
7-4
8-9
9-5

though, no idea if this will help ya 😀 good luck.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 8, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So probably what is going on is I have the one variant and this motherboard just so happens to want the other. If this is the case, me getting the headers that came with this board will help. Thanks for giving me hope!

Reply 3 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a different header cable if you don't have a original from MB. As far as I know, there are perhaps 3 types of wiring for cables and headers and they are not electrically compatible with each other (I bought Asus P/I P55SP4 without COM cable and it did not work from Zida BX98-CT, with the cable from PC Chips M590 the mouse ran up and works no problem).

Reply 4 of 8, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only have one serial header and the closest available one for me to get, is the original that came with this board. But yeah it seems that different wiring for serial headers is common and I assume (and hope) that this is what is going on here. Again, thanks for giving me confidence!

Reply 5 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you provide your board properly with negative 12V, too! I've spent so many *days* debugging these kinds of issues only to find out my PSU didn't supply negative 12V or that negative 12V traces on motherboard were bad.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BurnedPinguin wrote on 2021-03-28, 13:42:

I have used this psu on another board and serial works fine. The issue is most likely the header wiring.

Just wanted to add that if you have a multimeter set to continuity or ohms measurement
you can quickly check which pins are ground and verify if it is the correct pin on the DE9 connector.
(and possibly figure out which pinout you need)

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port