VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a 98se setup on a quantum atlas V 9.1gb SCSI drive connected to a 2940UW, after a couple of months of not being used the system suddenly started to exhibit some strange brief freezes of about 3-5 seconds that could happen maybe once every 30-60 seconds both while browsing through files/device manager and in games; for instance i tried running ut99 and whenever such a freeze happened it would be accompanied by the music briefly looping, kind of like what can be observed in some redbook games like half-life when a track starts (except ut99 doesn't use redbook, of course). system monitor did not seem to catch these, so there weren't any spikes displayed.

for troubleshooting this, what i tried is a scan in the adaptec BIOS which came up with nothing, a MHDD scan which came up with just about 10 sectors in the <50ms range, with the rest all <10ms, and finally a scandisk surface scan with the repair option enabled, which also listed no errors. since then curiously the freezes stopped occurring again, so maybe scandisk did remap some bad sectors? is there any way to check the status on that, as these SCSI drives seem to not support SMART?

Reply 2 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the nic is sharing with the usb controller (and i'm using a usb mouse). i considered the intel nic as a cause, not so much due to irq sharing than the fact that i read about periodic stutters in DOS games running under 9x with a misconfigured network, but in this case the freezes weren't really that periodic.

Reply 3 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that in linux there is a program that can read a lot of info from the scsi devices, especially the hard drives, pages of info about bad sectors etc... like hdparm which is mostly used for ide/sata devices.
sdparm is used for scsi disks.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, i really don't feel like messing with linux right now just to read out this drive... it's a bit of a shame that you apparently can't get any readouts on these SCSI drives under windows and a bit inexplicable to be honest. it's an ultra160 drive from 2000 after all.

the freezes still didn't reappear so i can only take some wild guesses to what the cause was - maybe some FAT corruption that scandisk fixed (i do have issues with freezing on the restart/shutdown screen on this machine, probably ACPI related), maybe some mechanical issues that manifest after some idle time but were fixed by the use from all these scans (?), or maybe something network related after all.

Reply 5 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2021-03-26, 22:32:

hmm, i really don't feel like messing with linux right now just to read out this drive... it's a bit of a shame that you apparently can't get any readouts on these SCSI drives under windows and a bit inexplicable to be honest.

there is a windows executable.... http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sdparm.html#mozTocId166213

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port