VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to replace the memory chips on SIMM modules with faster ones. I have a fair few 70ns SIMM modules sitting around, and I was wondering if it would be possible to simply desolder the chips and replace them with same size (memory wise as well as physical, obviously) with faster accesstime, such as 50ns. Would this even work?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if the pinout is the same it is possible, though there's the chance that timing issues might appear due to the original pcb design.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 5, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-27, 12:38:

if the pinout is the same it is possible, though there's the chance that timing issues might appear due to the original pcb design.

Why would these timing issues occur? Are the memory chips that sensitive to the physical length of the traces, or is there some other reason?
Not trying to argue or anything, I'm just really curious. I'm by no means an expert on PCB design, so it's always interesting to hear what more experienced people have to say 😀

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 3 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LunarG wrote on 2021-03-27, 13:14:

Why would these timing issues occur? Are the memory chips that sensitive to the physical length of the traces, or is there some other reason?
Not trying to argue or anything, I'm just really curious. I'm by no means an expert on PCB design, so it's always interesting to hear what more experienced people have to say 😀

yes, differences in trace length might mess up the signals.
there's probably other reasons as well, like pcb material impedance etc... but I ain't no expert nor have I experience in pcb design 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 5, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-27, 13:28:

there's probably other reasons as well, like pcb material impedance etc... but I ain't no expert nor have I experience in pcb design 😁

It might be worth looking into at some point. I'm kind of looking to optimise the performance of my 486. I've got some 10ns cache chips that I'm going to install. I doubt it will really make any difference, but it couldn't hurt. I'd also enjoy experimenting with faster memory modules. The combination of fast cache and fast ram might be good for running 50MHz bus with tight timings.

Reply 5 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LunarG wrote on 2021-03-27, 13:48:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-27, 13:28:

It might be worth looking into at some point. I'm kind of looking to optimise the performance of my 486. I've got some 10ns cache chips that I'm going to install. I doubt it will really make any difference, but it couldn't hurt. I'd also enjoy experimenting with faster memory modules. The combination of fast cache and fast ram might be good for running 50MHz bus with tight timings.

Actually there mighty be a slight chance the 10ns sram does hurt, as faster parts tend to draw more current. Even at the same speed.
Personally I haven't had any issues yet and most likely it's well in spec 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...