VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AntiRevisionism wrote on 2021-04-01, 22:22:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-03-31, 08:42:

I would go with simple USB extension cables, if accessing the back of the computer is the primary issue.

I think I may just go with this one. Because I don't have an IO shield yet for the motherboard, I try to avoid mucking around back there.

Heck, get yourself a powered USB hub ! 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 21 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My 2c? forget USB and get a network card and use something like ftp to transfer the files.
Avoids messing around with USB sticks as well.

Reply 22 of 22, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up going with the Manhattan Front panel for the USB. Rerouting the USB to the custom header on the motherboard seemed like a lot of work that would frustrate me if I wanted to use the back USB ports again. Plugged the audio and game ports into a CT-4750. The rear slot cover that came with the panel that allows the cables to exit the back of the case had fairly sharp edges. Needed some sanding.

Photo Apr 16, 3 05 33 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Apr 16, 3 05 33 PM.jpg
File size
260.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The side holes on my 3.5" to CF adapter ended up being about 1 mm farther back than I'd like, but the lower 3.5" bay that it is in attaches through the front of the case , so I could move it forward with some spacers some day.

There was a pile of ossified tape on the case that was tough to clean off, but I had to leave the little sparkly sticker next to the gateway logo, because, you know, bling factor.