VOGONS

First post, by Bas78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked up a Promise DC4030VL-2 controller and can't find the drivers anywhere online. Does anyone have this card and can send me the drivers?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh, had one of those, stayed in the 486 when it got given away. It replaced a Tekram that might have been the first card I broke. This was all a while ago.

Don't think I still have the floppies (sold off the box and disks last year), but pretty sure I'll have a disk image of them somewhere. I'll have a look tonight if no one else has them to hand.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case I can't find the original images, I just found this:
http://files.mpoli.fi/unpacked/hardware/hdd/p … se/4030vl2.zip/

That looks like it might have what you need (dosdrv.sys). Actually, it's a later version of the driver than would be on the floppy image, so might be better anyway.

Reply 5 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just in case, I found the backup I had. Turns out as well as the disk images I also had the files from the first disk, which is probably easier to deal with. I'll attach them all anyway.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great work! Great controller as well! I've got the same one and these drivers may come in handy.

The card really speeds up hard drives, both access time and throughput, just watch out for power cuts: it will corrupt data for sure if it isn't yet written into the disk!

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 9 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thinking back, I'm not sure DOS needs any drivers. My recollection (and this was a few years ago now) is that the card had its own sort of BIOS that could be entered during post that let you set most of the settings. After that it was pretty transparent. I think Windows (3.1?) needed a driver to use 32 bit mode. Can't remember how much difference that made.

And yes, it did make things a lot more responsive with the 170MB CP30174E we had at the time. Not sure how much difference it would make if using a CF - IDE adapter.