VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried googling this first but the results were inconclusive. Does the pentium 3 have a temperature sensor?

I've also heard that the board has to support temperature sensor monitoring possibly.

I don't think a pentium 3 really needs a temperature sensor but i was just curious as I was installing windows and just plopped a heatsink on it with old paste. I realized that I actually have no clue if that was AS DUMB of a thing to do as it would be if it were a socket 7 cpu that don't even need paste sometimes.

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deschutes or newer = integrated thermal sensor.

I don't think a pentium 3 really needs a temperature sensor

Famous last words.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 10, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-04-04, 21:09:

I don't think a pentium 3 really needs a temperature sensor

Famous last words.

Does it? To my knowledge they don't really get that hot while using even pretty basic heat sinks.

Maybe the 1ghz+ ones do. But I think sub 1ghz models are fine so long as the heat sink is installed correctly.

Reply 4 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To my knowledge they don't really get that hot while using even pretty basic heat sinks.

Stock cooling on slot 1 CPUs could go very hot after 20+ years with original thermal paste. Some OEMs were using "yellow gum" or other horrible solutions. External sensors won't tell s**t in such situations.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-04-04, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote on 2021-04-04, 21:31:

To my knowledge they don't really get that hot while using even pretty basic heat sinks.

It depends on the heatsink type, if it uses fans and they fail then it's going to warm up quite quickly. I feel monitoring both the temperature and fan speeds is sensible, further if the temperature increases after a few years it's time to renew the thermal paste.

I guess not monitoring it would add to the excitement of some games !

Reply 6 of 10, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2021-04-04, 22:00:

if it uses fans and they fail

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-04-04, 21:49:

20+ years with original thermal paste.

I guess I assumed anyone still using pentium 3 wouldn't be a novice

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess I assumed anyone still using pentium 3 wouldn't be a novice

Not with general recommendations to build P3 retrorig.

Reply 8 of 10, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-04-04, 22:16:

Not with general recommendations to build P3 retrorig.

Guess it comes back to the old "at what point do you need a heaksink / thermal paste" debate.

I guess my confusion stems from.... if there's no temperature sensor , then overheating probably wasn't much of a concern.

Reply 9 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Overheating was a major concern since Pentium 66. In fact, some S7 era mobos were using external sensor.

Reply 10 of 10, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-04-04, 22:49:

Overheating was a major concern since Pentium 66. In fact, some S7 era mobos were using external sensor.

Yeah but a lot of s7 machines and even slot 1 didn't even use/need thermal paste. Some just ran big passive heat sinks too.

Anyway , I assume the p3 667mhz model doesn't mind the lack of thermal paste as it made it through the whole windows install without much trouble. Now that it's done it's getting repasted anyway.