VOGONS

First post, by MasterDenton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, hope you're all doing well.

I've got a bit of a conundrum here. I've had this Compaq Presario 4770 kicking around for a while and I've gotten around to tinkering with it the past couple days and I'd like to bring it back to factory. Unfortunately, the OS I got it with was 98 SE which isn't the original (and I already have a fair share of 98 machines), and I can't for the life of me track down any sort of recovery CD for this specific model. This wouldn't really be a problem if Compaq hadn't decided to put some weird proprietary video chip on the board that I can't find the driver for to save my life, and the integrated sound card is giving me a headache as well under 95.

I've tried using the restore CD labeled for the 4700 series on Archive.org, but apparently this machine isn't covered by that disc. Apparently you can check the CD for compatibility by going into the "map" folder and checking the "bomid.txt" and seeing if the model shows up there. If someone happens to have a CD labeled for either the 4700 series or the 4770 specifically, could you check that file and let me know?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to this link

https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Compaq/bomid.html

the BOM ID for the Presario 4770 is 20307 - maybe try adding this to the txt file. Strangely, I did see an old post on HP Support from an original 4770 owner who said the v1.0 CD it came with didn't support the model???

If the video chip is an S3 Trio64V2/GX, try this attached W95 driver

Filename
775785_win95_24107.zip
File size
183.6 KiB
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What problems are you having with the audio (ESS AudioDrive 18xx series?)

Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2021-04-05, 21:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the Presario 4764 model, which has the same BOM ID as PC Hoarder Patrol mentioned. Those recovery discs should be in storage, I'll see if I can find them.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 4, by MasterDenton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply, work sent me out of state for a few days.

MCGA, I recall seeing the BOM ID for that model in the recovery CD's text file, so while unfortunately I don't think your drive will be able to bring my machine back to factory, you could use the CD on archive.org to bring your machine back to factory if the need strikes you. Thanks for the thought!

PC Hoarder Patrol, the issue I was having with the 18xx driver and Windows 95 was that it was, for some reason, installing a separate 16xx audio device and causing IRC conflicts as well as asking for a non-existent driver diskette with vxd files that didn't exist in the install directory. I eventually managed to solve the issue by just telling the device manager to skip the files as well as uninstalling the phantom 16xx audio device. It's probably not properly installed, but at least I'm getting sound output. Also, thank you so much for the device driver for the graphics chip! All of the documentation I could find on the 4770 was very vague about the graphics chip on the board, but now I know. Thanks again!

Vetz, it doesn't look like I'm in urgent need of the recovery disk anymore since the machine is in a fully usable state now, but if you do happen to stumble upon it while digging around, it would be good to upload it for preservation's sake. I'd love to see this machine in a factory state, bloatware and all.

Thank you all again!