VOGONS

First post, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few weeks ago I acquired a old stock M811, in a box, sealed, not touched (even with that "smell of new") and I was planning to use it as a Win2k/XP machine for some retro adventures (yeah, I consider WinXP and 2K old now). The thing is, I connected the motherboard to the PSU, put a Duron 800 chip on it, connected the power switch and put just 128MB of DDR1 RAM on it and connected a simple buzzer for the speaker... Try to turn it on, nope, dead... Not even a beep, PSU doesn't even turn its fan on.

At the beginning I thought it will be the memory, tried with different DDR1 memory, nope, the same, dead, nothing, no beep, no CPU/PSU fan, dead...

Am I forgetting something? is it something I should know? is the mobo super dead?

Any help trying to figure out before throwing this mobo to the garbage would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, ... it´s a PC-Chips!

But seriously, this might be dried out electrolytics. This even happenes when the board has never been used. And it´s from the "bad capacitor days".
Do you happen to have a picture

Reply 2 of 7, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you check the bios battery or install a new one? I've had my fair share of motherboards that either won't power up or just act very weird if the battery is low or missing/dead.

Reply 4 of 7, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @chrismeyer6 and @majestyk, I measured the voltage of the battery:

file.php?mode=view&id=107345

But guess what, I went and got a new battery and replaced it anyway, it works now!

In any case, this is a pic of the mobo, thanks a lot for your help folks!

file.php?mode=view&id=107346

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's very red.

Problem with measuring batteries out of circuit is that the voltage can recover, but there's no actual power there. So as soon as anything tries to draw a current the voltage drops again. You can get a better reading by either measuring the voltage in circuit, or by sticking a resistor (say a 330 ohm, so trying to draw about 9mA@3V) across the battery terminals and seeing if the voltage holds up.

Reply 6 of 7, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent I've had my fair share of motherboards with dead or weak batteries that show no signs of life untill you replace it. That's a good base for a nice socket A build.