VOGONS

First post, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking into getting some storage bins, the type with a bunch of small organizer drawers, something you'd keep screws and whatnot but bigger so that I can keep Ram/CPU etc in them. What are you all using to organize your parts? Any better suggestions?

Something like this:

storage.jpg
Filename
storage.jpg
File size
59.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For CPU's, I use clamshell CPU holders with ESD safe foam on the pins inside.
For RAM, I use the bulk DIMM holders which I think hold 50 memory sticks each.
For motherboards, I use motherboard size shipping boxes, and have them in anti-static bags in there.
For PCI/AGP/VLB/ISA cards, I have them in antistatic bags and packed between ESD safe foam in miscellaneous size cardboard boxes in ways they won't warp over time.
For resistors/capacitors/etc and other passive components, I use the bin like you have pictured, but it has about 30 or so drawers.
For microchip or ESD sensitive components, I have small ESD safe bags those go in, and use bins like above.
For cables, fans, and tons of other miscellaneous parts, I put those in Sterilite 6-quart plastic shoe boxes. They're often just under a dollar each at Wal-Mart and a great way to store parts on shelves.
Yet more ways I store some small parts or small tools is inside fishing tackle boxes.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have most of my CPUs in 10 x 6L plastic storage boxes, but now have enough OEM shipping trays to transfer most into the trays (I buy whenever I see them cheap enough, but most trays are over priced).
Motherboards are in two sizes of small package shipping boxes.
Graphics cards are currently in comic book storage boxes, but I am saving to buy the most suitable individual boxes that I can afford. May have to get some custom made for longer cards, as the best I can find on eBay and locally are a few times too high.
I'll be starting to buy components for fixing boards soon, and will use small storage drawers for them.
RAM is sorted by type, size and speed and stored in boxes by type.
Everything except small components is in antistatic bags

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 6, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I store mainboards in pizza boxes I buy from a local pizza place. It saves a lot of space and I don't have to pile them up in a big box anymore.
Expansion cards go in shoeboxes in simple plastic bags.
CD/DVD/floppy drives and PSUs are piled up in boxes.
Most CPUs are in Ebay clam shells, the rest are in old folded plastic food box lids.
Computers and monitors are covered with big transparent bags.
The room is climate controlled and has a built-in air purifier against dust.

Reply 5 of 6, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I store expansion cards and mainboards in ESD shielding bubble envelopes, this material is made of thick film and has good rigidity. I put the stuff into categorized boxes. I cut the material to size with impulse sealer (i can make 2 baby AT mainboard envelopes out of one big piece or 4 expansion card envelopes). The envelope is closed by rolling some of the material to the inside.
I place stickers with model names on the envelopes, because they have poor transparency. Thanks to that I can see what cards are inside. I mark outside of the box with type of hardware that is in there.

I store CPUs in short cardboard boxes with ESD foam on the bottom. They are not secured in any way, so i need to be careful when handling the box 😁

esdbubble1.jpg
Filename
esdbubble1.jpg
File size
588.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
esdbubble2.jpg
Filename
esdbubble2.jpg
File size
698.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 6 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought 100 cardboard boxes that can fit any baby at/ATX motherboard and in there I put the motherboard in a antistatic bag and eventual accessories that can be used with the board (manual, vrm, coast module, I/O shield ...).

IMG_20210410_230416__01.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210410_230416__01.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then I stick a label on the box stating what's inside and a brief info about the motherboard's state.

Finally I put the boxes on a shelf

IMG_20210410_230327.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210410_230327.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative