VOGONS

First post, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I am new to Retro hardware. I am trying to build a retro PC from the 1997 to 1998 era. My question is.... Was the Mystique 220 supposed to be better than the Millenium II? What was the intended market for the Mystique 220 and the Milleniim II ?

I would also like to get the fastest or the best RETAIL versions of both the Matrox Mystique 220 and the Matrox Millenium II. I need help identifying whether a card is retail or OEM.

The Millenium II, I ordered has these numbers:
MGA-2164WP-C and 708-03 in the front of the card. Mil2P/8N in the back of the card.

The Mystique 220 I ordered has these numbers:
MGA-1164SG-A and 644-03 in the front. MY220P/4BI/20 in the back.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Mystique was the cheap version of the Millenium (and less powerful). Both those cards are retail and from the same generation.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 17, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some pictures of the cards I ordered.

Screenshot_20210410-141033.png
Filename
Screenshot_20210410-141033.png
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File comment
Millennium II
File license
Public domain
Screenshot_20210410-140835.png
Filename
Screenshot_20210410-140835.png
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File comment
Mystique 220
File license
Public domain

Attachments

Reply 3 of 17, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-04-10, 21:11:

The Mystique was the cheap version of the Millenium (and less powerful). Both those cards are retail and from the same generation.

Is the Millenium II and the original Mystique (Not 220) the same generation?

Reply 4 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Mystique was the 1064 chip, and the original Millenium was the 2064 chip. 1164 (Mystique 220) and 2164 (Millenium II) are second generation.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 17, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-04-10, 21:41:

The original Mystique was the 1064 chip, and the original Millenium was the 2064 chip. 1164 (Mystique 220) and 2164 (Millenium II) are second generation.

Oh okay I see it now! Thanks. How do you identify whether a card is retail or OEM?

Reply 6 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure how all OEM part numbers start, but Compaq cards have model numbers on the stickers that start with CPQ. I'm not sure, but I think the OEM and non OEM versions of the same card only differ in the model number on the sticker. I haven't got round to researching Matrox cards for my website yet.

Reply 7 of 17, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't tell which RAMDAC the Mystique has from the photo, but the Millennium II has a 250 MHz RAMDAC. You'll be able to drive some pretty high analog resolutions with it.

Fun fact: the Matrox drivers offer a software programable RAMDAC giving the user considerable options for custom resolutions with pixel clocks up to the maximum of the RAMDAC.

Reply 8 of 17, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-04-10, 22:01:

I'm not sure how all OEM part numbers start, but Compaq cards have model numbers on the stickers that start with CPQ. I'm not sure, but I think the OEM and non OEM versions of the same card only differ in the model number on the sticker. I haven't got round to researching Matrox cards for my website yet.

Before the Millenium II card I just purchased, I bought a Millenium II with a sticker in the back with the model number ending in"Dell2". I am assuming this means that it was intended for Dell. Not sure if the specs are different. Guess I will find out when both are delivered to me.

So far, for the Millenium II cards, I know that there are differences in specs between a 708-01 and a 703-00.

The Mystique 220 1164SG-A and the 1064SG-H are both "644-03" but their specs are different, with the SG-A being faster. Both have 220 RAMDAC.

Reply 9 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The specs should be the same, even if the layout differs. And yes, the DELL2 will mean it was used by DELL

Reply 10 of 17, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-04-10, 22:20:

I can't tell which RAMDAC the Mystique has from the photo, but the Millennium II has a 250 MHz RAMDAC. You'll be able to drive some pretty high analog resolutions with it.

Fun fact: the Matrox drivers offer a software programable RAMDAC giving the user considerable options for custom resolutions with pixel clocks up to the maximum of the RAMDAC.

Thanks for the info!

Reply 12 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems that Dell cards end in DELL2, Compaq end (not start as I said above) in CPQ and HP cards end in HP3 (and possibly HP/HP2)

Reply 13 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't tell which RAMDAC the Mystique has from the photo

It's literally in the name - Mystique 220.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 15 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some Compaq OEM versions of those cards, but it shouldn't make a difference in terms of features. There is though a difference in terms of RAM speed. The known variants of Mystique "170" are 50/75, 55/82,5 and 60/90 MHz. Mystique 220 had two choices of 60/90 and 66/99 MHz.

Matrox Mystique were released in late 1996 and were mostly promoted to gamers and regular consumers. It used SGRAM. Later in 1997 Matrox followed up with the Millennium II which had improved 2D speeds, WRAM and the abilitiy to render 3D in 32 bit color. It also had a better RAMDAC and supposedly better VGA output. The Millennium II was a product more tailored for business usage and CAD rendering. It is actually slower in gaming than the Mystique.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 17, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both the MGA-1064SG Mystique and MGA-1064SG Mystique have the same PCI Device ID, but different PCI Revision IDs so once they are in a system it's easy to tell them apart, further the driver reports the RAMDAC speed.

file.php?id=107406

Attachments