VOGONS

First post, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Thoughts on the below:

x3 PC's (98 rig, XP rig and Thin client running Win7 and DOSBox) > Belkin KVM (F1DB104P2EAB) > StarTech VGA splitter (ST122PROGB) > x2 CRTs.

The reason for this configuration is so I'd be able to select between my Iiyama Vision Master and Formac Pronitron CRTs (one has a flat screen, the other an 'NF' screen) and have any one of the 3 PC's use 'either' of those 2 Monitors.

Just wondering if this would be workable or can you foresee any issues with image quality due to going through the KVM and then into the splitter, or perhaps the solution simply not working at all?

Note: I've done my research on the specs of both the KVM and VGA splitter and they can cope with the max resolution and refresh rates of the CRTs

Cheers guys
Craig

Reply 1 of 3, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as you are using high quality equipment and not cheap stuff from Ebay you should be fine quality wise. Ofc, it also depends on the resolution.

I've used a similar setup (with splitter to my main computer for VGA capture). Here I noticed a major quality difference with a highend VGA splitter and a cheap one from Ebay.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 3, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it should work fine. As above, output quality may vary depending on the quality of your splitter - a passive box will be worst, a good active splitter better.

One thing to bear in mind is that automatic resolution detection using VGA EDID signalling may not work, and of course if your two displays are different specs, well, you may have some fun and games. But that doesn't change the fact that it should work from a technical point of view.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 3, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, appreciate that. The kit is decent - Belkin KVM and a powered VGA splitter - pretty sure Mr Phil had a thread about a Star Tech VGA splitter when I was searching the forums earlier.

The CRTs are different max resolution (the Formac one is higher). The VGA splitter suggests using the better spec Monitor on the first input and also references DDC?

Thanks again 😃