VOGONS

First post, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I need some help from you ATI fans out there. Information about their cards seem to be all over the place.

I just got a 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X PN: 109-40200-20. I have attached some pictures.

1) Is this an Xpert@Work, Xpert@Play? What is it?

2) I would like to know if this mas made for retail or OEM. How can I identify one? I only collect hardware made for retail. This is just personal preference.

3) I have noticed some cards Canada, some in China, some in Taiwan. Any difference?

4) If I am not mistaken the 3D Rage Turbo was ATI's attempt to fake a new chip or something? Was the 3D Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X then renamed to just 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x?

5) My card has a "Non upgradeable" sticker. Why is this?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MOD WARNING:
Bumping the thread like that after 4 hours is not good forum etiquette. Please don't do that again.

Regarding your question, did you check out the list here? https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/ATI#ATI_Rage_GPU_chart

The -20 at the end of the PN number is normally a revision change. My guess to why it says non-upgradeable since it already has the memory module and is maxed out.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/ite … rage-pro-agp-2x it an Xpert@Play

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 11, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote on 2021-04-16, 21:35:
MOD WARNING: Bumping the thread like that after 4 hours is not good forum etiquette. Please don't do that again. […]
Show full quote

MOD WARNING:
Bumping the thread like that after 4 hours is not good forum etiquette. Please don't do that again.

Regarding your question, did you check out the list here? https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/ATI#ATI_Rage_GPU_chart

The -20 at the end of the PN number is normally a revision change. My guess to why it says non-upgradeable since it already has the memory module and is maxed out.

My apologies.

Makes sense, the card in question has 8mb mem.

Was the 3D Rage Pro "TURBO" the last 3D Rage ATI released?

Reply 5 of 11, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-04-16, 21:50:

Yes, seems like it.

I read that ATI generally sold their 3D Rage Pro cards in the form of either Xpert@Play or Xpert@Work.

My understanding is that anything that doesn't have the extras of TV output and such is just an Xpert@work?

Is the ATI 3D Rage Pro All In Wonder slower? I read that AIW's are generally slower but I am not sure if ot applies to the 3D Rage Pro?

Reply 6 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rage XL was the last desktop Rage. Rage 128 series was a year later, with the dual chip Rage Fury Maxx released a month later. I believe Rage Mobility came after all of them, and were also used on desktop boards.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AIW cards run at the same speeds as regular cards (at least, the R128 versions do)

Reply 8 of 11, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FXing Serious wrote on 2021-04-16, 21:53:

Rage XL chips were re-released as cheap low end clones and as integrated server VGA for a very long time after the rest of the Rage line was gone, but they were never the fastest.

The last, best "high performance" single chip Rage was Rage 128 Pro 2, that was in the Rage 128 Pro Ultra (109-78200-00 ) but it was not competitive with the Nvidia Geforce 256.

The Rage 6 chip was its successor, but it renamed to the Radeon DDR (R100), maybe to make a break from the previous products because the Rage product line had become something of a mess by that point.

Reply 9 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2021-04-16, 23:48:

because the Rage product line had become something of a mess by that point.

Seems to me like the Rage product line was always a mess.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 11, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2021-04-16, 23:48:
Rage XL chips were re-released as cheap low end clones and as integrated server VGA for a very long time after the rest of the […]
Show full quote
FXing Serious wrote on 2021-04-16, 21:53:

Rage XL chips were re-released as cheap low end clones and as integrated server VGA for a very long time after the rest of the Rage line was gone, but they were never the fastest.

The last, best "high performance" single chip Rage was Rage 128 Pro 2, that was in the Rage 128 Pro Ultra (109-78200-00 ) but it was not competitive with the Nvidia Geforce 256.

The Rage 6 chip was its successor, but it renamed to the Radeon DDR (R100), maybe to make a break from the previous products because the Rage product line had become something of a mess by that point.

Interesting.... I thought the Rage 128 was the successor of the 3D Rage Pro. Something entirely different. I am basically looking for the latest and best offering from ATI of 3D Rage Pro chip. The Rage XL is a budget offering, and the RageLT was made for mobile I believe? So that will make the 3D Rage Turbo the last best offering?

Reply 11 of 11, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already own a 109-40200-20 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X. I just bought another 109-40200-20 again, this one with the 3D Rage Turbo name stamped on the chip. It is the same card I know..... But I decided that I will just collect both 🤣. No need to ask any more questions or find out what is what xD It was already giving me a headache...