VOGONS

First post, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a DEC 5510 PC (tower version of dec 3500) with a 440lx and PhoenixBIOS. I want to try running a Mendocino Celeron 533 in a slot adapter. It will hang on self tests where it checks the L2 cache after it identifies the CPU as a Pentium Pro 366. Disabling the L2 cache in bios skips that test and allows it boot up.

Thought I could use setmul to re-enable the cache and it says it worked but it's still disabled when tested.

Are there other tools to enable the cache which work differently than SetMul after booting into dos/win9x or maybe a way to patch the bios? I saw the Award bios patch tool 4.23 and tried it but it doesn't work with PheonixBIOS. Found the latest bios on a Digital Equipment Corp support mirror and it claims to support Celeron but maybe that's only older Covington models. Believe this was manufactured by Compaq for DEC and looked around to see if there were any Compaq branded units with newer bios available but couldn't find anything.

I can always go back to the Pentium 2 but hoping someone here has suggestions.

Reply 1 of 1, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

using a correctly detected Pentium 2 with the L2 disabled in the bios setup I was then able to enable/disable it with setmul no problem. Think I'm simply out of luck on this one.

Edit: I was able to enable the l2 cache with the PowerLeap CPU control panel CCP 5.1.0.1

Sorry if I wasted space on the forum. Maybe someone else with a 440LX chipset board, no new bios, and wanting to use a 'fast' celeron will find it informative.