VOGONS

First post, by fgenesis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently obtained an Addonics MBA-386B-25UN mainboard.

DSC00742.JPG
Filename
DSC00742.JPG
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File comment
Overview of the board
File license
Public domain

Unfortunately some parts are missing. At least the battery hasn't leaked yet. But it will have to go soon.

I'd like to get this board back into a working state, means i need the BIOS, an AMI keyboard controller, and a 25 MHz 386.
The CPU is easy and I'll probably have one soon, but the BIOS doesn't seem to exist on the internet. UH19 says it's an AMI one but I don't know anything else.
I'm in no particular rush to get this project completed but i'll leave this post here in case in future anyone manages to get hold of a BIOS dump. If you do, please share.
In case this BIOS (or a suitable alternative) turns up I'll edit the post and link it right here.

Since the infos on UH19 are incomplete, here are some more pictures:

DSC00734.JPG
Filename
DSC00734.JPG
File size
808.52 KiB
Views
File comment
Chipset close-up
File license
Public domain
DSC00738.JPG
Filename
DSC00738.JPG
File size
732.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That's a lot of jumpers there 😮
What's this weird white connector? Haven't seen that one on a mainboard yet.

If anyone has any hints to fix this, or possible alternatives for BIOSes (like a MR-BIOS that saved the day previously) please add your thoughts.
As far as my knowledge about keyboard controllers goes is that it specifically needs to be an AMI one, correct? Since it's supposedly an AMI bios...
Or could a 8042 work as well? Or whatever else is out there?

EDIT: Redirected to new uh19 entry

Last edited by fgenesis on 2021-05-18, 18:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think a 8042 should work.

In the meantime you could try these testing rom just to see if your board has some life left : http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supersoft_lan … 0IBM%205170.htm

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 2, by fgenesis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: The board is back to life!

An 8042 keyboard controller indeed did the trick. Also found two BIOSes that seem to work. Source info in the zip file.
The original one appears to be an AMI one but I don't have that. The AMI one in the zip may or may not be the original but it's at least for that chipset.
Since there's also a MR-BIOS for the chipset I'll probably roll with that one.

Attachments