VOGONS

First post, by MetroidHatchling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am having trouble setting up my 3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-C card on my 486 running DOS 6.22.

I tried using the 3C5X9X.EXE file to install the drivers and config but when I try installing, I get the error:

"!!! ERROR !!! There are one or more EtherLink III ISA (3C509) adapters configured to EISA mode and installed in an ISA slot. Remove these adapters, place them in an EISA slot on an EISA computer, and configure them for ISA operation."

I get the same error when I try running 3C5X9CFG.EXE:

20210422-181547.jpg

That would be fine except I don't have any computers with EISA lying around. Is there any way to reconfigure this card without access to a computer with EISA? I would've thought it'd be a simple matter of moving jumpers but there aren't any jumpers on the card so I'm not really sure what to do.

Specs:
486 DX2 66 CPU
Microstar MS-4137 mainboard
16MB RAM
Sony IDE CD-ROM drive from 2002
NEC 3.5" floppy drive
5.25" drive (don't know the brand on that one)
2GB Transcend Compact Flash card on IDE adapter as primary HDD
72025AP MAXTOR 2GB 5400RPM 3.5IN 3H IDE Secondary HDD
Jaton S3 805 VLB Video Card
Creative AWE64 Gold CT4390 Sound card
MPU-401 PC MIDI Intelligent Mode interface card (made by members of this forum)
MCT Multi I/O VLB DUAL IDE Disk Controller Card with Goldstar Prime 2C chip
Thrustmaster ACM Game Card
Running with Ontrack Disk Manager 9.57 BIOS overlay and disk partitioning tool.

Reply 1 of 6, by fgenesis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3C5X9X.EXE should be a self-extracting archive. Wonder why it would check for the existence of a card...
I've attached the config utitility and packet driver i'm using on my 286 machine, maybe it works for you.

(There seem to be different versions of the driver package for 3c9x5 with so-so compatibility, maybe it's the same for the 3c509 as well)

EDIT: Also take a look at https://github.com/hackerb9/3C509B-nestor

Attachments

• Filename
    3c509.zip
    File size
    207.87 KiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File comment
    3c5x9 packet driver and config tool
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by MetroidHatchling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I meant that when I try to run the installation after it extracts I get that error. The extraction itself has no issues.

I tried running the file you shared here (thank you) but it had the same error. I also checked out the github link you shared. I burned those files onto a cd and tried it, i thought perhaps PNPDSABL.EXE would be helpful but alas, the same error occured with that and every other .exe in the folder:

20210422-210339.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently only possible (officially) with an EISA rig or by 3Com themselves...unofficially there are ways, though not all exactly easy / guaranteed

by Hardware Reset

Filename
cameron-spitzer.txt
File size
2.9 KiB
Downloads
65 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

by Linux 3Com Tool Recompile

http://krusty.dt.e-technik.tu-dortmund.de/~ma/3c509.html

You may have to hunt around online or on the Archive for alternate sources of some of the software files linked

Reply 4 of 6, by MetroidHatchling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you guys for the help. I ended up ordering another of the same card, which was thankfully configured for ISA and everything seems to have gone well. (Not entirely sure how to test it out yet but I'll figure it out).

Dunno what I'll do with the EISA one for now, maybe I'll build an EISA computer some time in the future. So strange that it's that difficult to reconfigure.

Reply 5 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MetroidHatchling wrote on 2021-04-26, 20:18:

Thank you guys for the help. I ended up ordering another of the same card, which was thankfully configured for ISA and everything seems to have gone well. (Not entirely sure how to test it out yet but I'll figure it out).

Dunno what I'll do with the EISA one for now, maybe I'll build an EISA computer some time in the future. So strange that it's that difficult to reconfigure.

That's a downside of the EISA design. EISA mainboards free up extra port address ranges that are occupied by traditional ISA mainboards. There are obviously no ISA cards that use these port addresses, because they would be in conflict with most ISA mainboards. Focussing EISA cards onto these extra resources makes port conflicts between them and ISA cards nearly impossible, which is mostly a good thing. On the other hand, you can not talk to an ISA card using the EISA protocol in a non-EISA mainboard, because the conflicts that kept the EISA ports free will occur in a classic ISA board.

If you are lucky, the conflicts are not bad enough to prevent a software tool to switch the 3c509 card out of EISA mode, but this is operating the mainboard out-of-spec, which is why 3COM chose to not attempt to that, but some 3rd party tools linked above do so.

Reply 6 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MetroidHatchling wrote on 2021-04-26, 20:18:

Now you've got a working replacement, it'd still be worth trying to force the original card out of EISA mode. Here's a post from someone who fixed the problem, albeit down to a different reason

Re: ISA 3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-TPO Repeatedly fails self test, "Vital EEPROM," error.