VOGONS

Packard Bell 486 drive issues

Topic actions

First post, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up a Packard Bell Pack-Mate 1984 out of the recycling today. Had a 486SX, 16MB of RAM, 212MB hard drive, ATI VGA Wonder 16 and a Packard Bell laballed sound card (FCC ID I38-MMSN811). Booted into DOS no problem (after resetting CMOS as the battery was dead) so I swapped the 486SX for a 486DX2-66 that I had, configured the jumpers according to the sticker on the chassis lid and desoldered the battery as it had begun to leak, no major damage yet thankfully.

Now after doing that I wanted to verify that my CPU swap had gone off fine and was detected, so I threw HWiNFO on a floppy and tried to read it, only to be presented with the message that drive A was not yet ready. After choosing retry a bunch of times with no luck, I tried another disk, still nothing and so I swapped the drive for a known working one. Same issue. I have no clue what the issue might be, I get no errors at boot time, and the access light lights up when the drive is attempting to read, but that's it. Not sure if it's a cabling thing or not, the cable that was installed in the machine also has a 5.25" connector, but no 5.25" drive is installed.

My second issue is that this machine has an IDE CD-ROM drive installed, but when I connect this, the computer wont start up. It has no jumpers for configuring master/slave. The hard drive is set to master, I never thought to try before I finished messing around with it today but perhaps setting the hard drive as slave would work?

So yeah, not exactly sure what's causing both of these issues, here's a picture of the board, any help is much appreciated:

http://imgur.com/a/HTCqJee

Reply 1 of 21, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure the cable red stripe is lining up with pin 1 (one) on the connectors, both on the disk and the board.

As for the CDROM you say it is IDE but not having a master/slave jumper makes me think it's something else with a 40pin connector. What is the brand/model of the CDROM?

You need to connect the floppy after the twist in the cable if you want to use that as drive A: so both end-connectors. Otherwise it is drive B:

Reply 3 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2021-04-28, 11:38:

Make sure the cable red stripe is lining up with pin 1 (one) on the connectors, both on the disk and the board.

As for the CDROM you say it is IDE but not having a master/slave jumper makes me think it's something else with a 40pin connector. What is the brand/model of the CDROM?

You need to connect the floppy after the twist in the cable if you want to use that as drive A: so both end-connectors. Otherwise it is drive B:

The floppy is connected after the twist, I did wonder if I had my cable backwards, but I tried both orientations (end that plugs into the board has a pin blanked so will only go in one way. I'll try another cable after work, I've got one that just has the one connector and doesn't have a 5.25" connector on it, will see if it makes any difference.

The CD-ROM is an Optics Storage Dolphin 8000 AT, if it's not actually IDE, would that mean I need to connect it to one of the connectors on the soundcard? Would I regular IDE cable work for this purpose?

evasive wrote on 2021-04-28, 11:42:

Oh and that appears to be the 430/440/440T board:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/430.htm

Not yet in UH19 afaik

That's very helpful, I was wondering about polarity for an external battery.

As far as UH19 I can't dump roms but I can take some pictures for sure.

Reply 4 of 21, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/OPTCD.html suggests that the 8000AT should use the Sony 34 pin interface, which I think was found on some soundcards. I've got an SB16 which has a 40 pin MKE bus interface on it. The cable that came with it had a 40 pin connector at one end, and at the other end had both a 34 pin connector and a 40 pin connector. So I guess the same cable could be used to connect a Sony drive to a Sony interface, or an MKE drive to an MKE interface.

Does your CD drive have a 40 pin connector?

Reply 6 of 21, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2021-04-28, 12:25:

Comes with its own interface card:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8tMAAOSwraNf4c~e/s-l1600.jpg
which is 34-pin

Huh, CDROM audio out on the back panel. So not Sony 34 pin then, don't think that has any analogue audio and I don't see anything that looks like a DAC there.

Reply 7 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That would all make sense then. I made the incorrect assumption that the machine would have been in a working state before it was retired, but evidently not. That being the case, the sound card does have a 34 pin Sony connector, would connecting these two with an IDE cable work? Otherwise I'll just swap it for an IDE CD-ROM drive. I have one kicking around.

Reply 8 of 21, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may work as long as you line up the pins properly. However, it may not fit on the CDROM side. Then you would need to use a floppy cable (which is 34 pin) but make sure there's no twist in it in between the connectors.

Reply 10 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:
CD-Drive didn't work not that I'm terribly surprised. I found out that the tray mechanism doesn't work anyway so not a big loss.

No luck at all with the floppy. Tried another cable, again with both the drive that came with the machine and one I know works but same symptoms, shows every indication it's going to work (lights up, makes noise) but DOS still says "Not ready reading drive A". I guess the floppy controller is toast?

Reply 12 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:50:

I'd make sure the floppy settings are correct in the bios. I'd just double check it's set for 1.44mb and not 1.2mb,720k, 360k ECT.

Yeah, they're correct. Had to set them every time I turned it on since I removed the battery. Just for the heck of it I tried disabling the A drive and setting the B drive to 3.5" 1.44MB but as expected that just gave a diskette error on startup.

Reply 14 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:58:

I'd get a battery hooked up. I have had a ton of boards that either refuse to post or just act really weird if the batteries are dead,missing, or low.

I've got one connected now. Rigged up a CR2032 holder connected to an old 4-pin fan connector this afternoon. It's saving the settings now, I'm not sure that it's saving the time. But I can't actually figure out how to get into the BIOS settings except when it prompts me to because of some misconfiguration.

Reply 16 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-28, 19:41:

I googled and I found for Packard Bell's of this era hitting control+alt+s was a very common combination to enter the bios.

Aha, yes that did it! It is indeed saving the settings but not the time.

However, now yet more issues have cropped up! I'm getting characters swapped around on screen, which I believe would be a RAM issue?

https://imgur.com/TN3Jlsh

Reply 18 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2021-04-30, 07:19:

video memory i think, do you have an option to use a different video card?

I don't have any other ISA cards, but I can always remove the ATI and reenable the onboard video. I'll try that tonight, I was planning to poke around with my multimeter to check for continuity around the floppy connector as well, but I'm not super sure what to troubleshoot there other than making sure all the pins go somewhere.

Reply 19 of 21, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No issues using the on-board video, which is a Cirrus Logic GD-5424, from what I gather this is probably better than the VGA Wonder 16 card anyway.

I verified that all pins on the floppy connector have continuity to the IO chip, but not much I can do beyond that without a schematic for this board which I've not been able to find. At this point it looks like I'll have to invest in an ISA floppy controller, at least I have a working CD drive I can use to transfer files to the machine.