VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I purchased a Gateway PC with an Asus P2B mobo, from a thrift shop. The last PC I ever had before I started building my own, was a Gateway Performance 450 with a Pentium III. I also have an old mobo with a Pentium 133. The thrift shop mobo doesn't have a Gateway splash screen during boot. Unless I overlooked it, I do not see the option in the bios settings. Both my old Gateway 450 and the mobo with the p-133 have Gateway splash screens, leading me to wonder if the P2B was the original mobo in the Gateway case.

As weird as it sounds, I am recreating some of the Gateway "feeling," including acquiring a Gateway keyboard, acquiring a software storage binder with the discs I had with my P-450 (even the games I ordered with the build along with a Sidewinder Precision Pro, back in 1999 - Battlezone was AWESOME with that joystick!) I am also collecting the install discs for every component, to keep in the binder. When I was a kid, we all wanted a Gateway. I am doing this to pay homage and for nostalgia. I ended up getting rid of a lot of this stuff over the years, with deep regret. I still have the Tabor II mobo (with splash screen,) though it isn't the P2B, if you know what I mean - it lacks the extra ISA slots, though I wonder if it supports faster P3's.... Replacing everything will take time, and will probably be costly, though I am driven to succeed in the endeavor. I will also collect Gateway discs from other eras, as I will also be running MS-DOS and WFW 3.11 on this.

To make a long story short, I was wondering if there is a way to hack the bios to add the Gateway boot splash screen? Also, is there a database somewhere that lists the software given with Gateway models?

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asus P2B should be a Award BIOS and there are tools to mod and add a boot logo.
I am the opposite ! I turn off full screen BIOS logo's every time I can.......prefer to see the pre/post bios screen but that is just me ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-05-04, 01:45:

Asus P2B should be a Award BIOS and there are tools to mod and add a boot logo.
I am the opposite ! I turn off full screen BIOS logo's every time I can.......prefer to see the pre/post bios screen but that is just me ;p

Thank you, I will look into such tools. I normally turn off boot/splash screens, though this particular build is a special project. Do you have any info on such tools?