VOGONS

First post, by Blur2040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive my naiveté in advance.

***needless exposition***
I mostly do consoles and older "home " computers. But, well, I found a beautiful Voodoo1 CIB on FB for cheap and needed something to run it in. Took a gamble on some computers on FB. Found myself with a fairly mundane 486 and a super cool Gateway Destination both from the same seller. I had planned to build my own machine from scratch, but the Destination has just what I was looking for in specs and the thing just seems to cool to let die. It will look good next to my Commodore CDTV.
***end***

My Gateway Destination appears to have a good PSU. Tested with a multimeter. However, no video, no beeps. Suspect either processor or motherboard.

Bought a PC POST test card. Again, voltages look fine. No POST codes. I have removed all cards/cables from the motherboard, reseated the processor and Ram. Nothing.

So, I still suspect either bad motherboard or bad processor. How do I tell which? I don't have another Socket 7 processor or motherboard to test with. Is there anything that will clue me in?

Edit: I should mention that I also tested the computer with another PSU. So, again, no power issues.

Last edited by Blur2040 on 2021-05-04, 14:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need more info: What model Gateway Destination ?
Can you take a picture of the motherboard and post the picture ?
No POST codes is a bad sign. Rarely do Pentium cpu's die so most likely the board.

What about the 486 ? Does it work ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 14, by Blur2040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Photos attached.

The motherboard seems rare. A shame as I'm a bit neurotic and would like an exact replacement. It seems that there are some other *very* close motherboards from Gateway out there. That said, the magic of the machine seems to be the Chromation mpact DSP (or whatever it is) and associated cards. So, maybe it won't be so bad to get a close enough motherboard and cut a new IO shield.

The 486 works OK...except when you start playing sound on it. I think the Mad 16 Sound Card that came with it is off. It plays OK for a minute or so...then freezes. The 486 was what I originally contact the FB poster about. Thought that there was a good chance of a Socket 7. Meanwhile, the Destination looked too new for that, having RCA jacks on the front and a DVD ROM drive. While obscure PCs are not my thing, I recognized it as something interesting, having home-theatre style feet on it and insano inputs. I suppose the "Pentium" badge on the case helped. Got the wireless keyboard for it too.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't identify board with so much stuff in the way. That in itself is the first thing to rule out: when faced with a non-booting system, keep it simple. Remove everything except for CPU, a single DIMM and VGA (which may be onboard). In fact, take motherboard out of case for testing to rule out short circuits there too.

Also, testing voltages with a multimeter gives a basic indication of PSU operation, but doesn't guarantee performance under load. I'd see what it does with a different PSU before assuming this one to be good.

Reply 4 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P/N suggests it's a Gateway 'Lawman' 430tx board.

https://www.recycledgoods.com/gateway-4000275 … x-system-board/

GW2K Lawman 4000275.jpg
Filename
GW2K Lawman 4000275.jpg
File size
281.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's still quite a few GW2K 'Destination' links on archive.org but little in the way of useful troubleshooting

Reply 5 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-05-04, 06:52:
P/N suggests it's a Gateway 'Lawman' 430tx board. […]
Show full quote

P/N suggests it's a Gateway 'Lawman' 430tx board.

https://www.recycledgoods.com/gateway-4000275 … x-system-board/

GW2K Lawman 4000275.jpg

There's still quite a few GW2K 'Destination' links on archive.org but little in the way of useful troubleshooting

Looks plausible based on the bits we can see. Those are some juicy looking caps around the ATX power connector. If they have failed that might explain a bit.

Reply 6 of 14, by Blur2040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've done it. Out of the case.

Caps look fine. No bulge, no leak, no fluid on the board.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 14, by Blur2040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More! Also, I powered it on out of the case with just the CPU and RAM. No beep.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, and could redo the caps...but again, I don't see anything off there.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's that?

copper.png
Filename
copper.png
File size
816.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looks like a copper pin that belongs in some slot..

If it looks like it came out that DIMM slot, try the one next to it instead.

Reply 9 of 14, by Blur2040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-05-04, 14:53:

What's that?

I'm working at the moment, but I believe it's a sliver of a woodchip rather than a copper pin. I have tried the other RAM slot, but have not done so since removing the board from the case. I will inspect that thing and try the other ram slot again this evening.

Reply 10 of 14, by Blur2040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, got home tonight, looked once more at the board. The thing on the board was, sell, I don't know what it was. Not metal. It's gone now. Still no boot. Everything looks fine aside from being a bit dirty.