VOGONS

First post, by sepp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Vogons,

I am still doing experiments with different setups 😉
This time I have a problem with assigning the right IRQ to the right PCI card.
The setup:
Asrock K7VT4A+ mainboard (KT400A)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/K7VT4A+/index.asp
A simple AGP card
Only one PCI card: Terratec TTSOLO1-N

The mainboard has 5 free PCI slots. I already tried changing the PCI slot but the BIOS will only give IRQ 10 to the sound card. I also tried to enable/disable peripherals within the BIOS (COM ports, LPT, IDE and so on). But no luck, still only IRQ 10.
Sadly the BIOS doesnt have any option like "plug and play OS" or assigning an IRQ directly to a PCI slot.

As a work-around a put two additional PCI cards into the system I dont want to use. These two PCI cards are blocking away IRQ 10 and 11, so that my TTSOLO1-N gets luckily IRQ 5. A variant of this is to enbale the onboard MIDI port to a non common address and IRQ 10, so I only need one additional PCI card (instead of two) to free a usable IRQ to the TSOLO1-N.

Any other ideas how to assign an IRQ to a certain PCI card? I would like to ovoid puttin unused PCI cards to this system.

Many thanks for your ideas 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

did you actually try just changing the IRQ in device manager? win95 OSR2 and up support PCI IRQ steering.

i wouldn't really worry about the pnp OS option being missing, as the board is so new that it should be designed for this by default, but yeah, older boards had a lot more comprehensive options when it comes to PCI IRQs/INT lines.

Reply 2 of 2, by sepp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
auron wrote on 2021-05-09, 18:07:

did you actually try just changing the IRQ in device manager? win95 OSR2 and up support PCI IRQ steering.

Thanks for that hint - I forgot to mention. Yes I already tried that. But sadly windows doesnt let me change this value. 🙁