VOGONS

First post, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

back around 2005 there were lots of small form factor business machines with socket 775 and pentium 4

I always associated p4 with socket 478 and 775 with core duo and have never considered a socket 775 as basis for a P4 enthusiast machine

is there any reason to consider one over the more usual socket 478? (or is that a waste when core duos are readily available?)

Reply 1 of 4, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If Win98 is your goal, an AGP-based socket 775 makes a good platform. It's usually based on the i865G chipset and offers great compatibility with both Win98 and WinXP. Sata drives can be used in compatible mode, and if you really want to go crazy, some boards accept C2D for that ludicrous performance boost you don't really need in Win98 but comes in handy in WinXP.

I like the Asus P5Pe-VM as it ticks all the boxes. There are other offerings from Asrock and Gigabyte which pair s775 to AGP.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S478 feels more retro to me, CPU's with pins, AGP, IDE and the like.
775 based i865 boards feel a bit wrong and backwards to me personally but on a practical level they make more sense on every level.
Not sure I'd limit myself to a P4 though if dual booting 9x/XP as XP will appreciate the Core's added speed

Reply 4 of 4, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes i suppose it's that. if i have a 775 board why not get a core duo - the P4 feels like it somehow crept onto the wrong arena here, though that's interesting to me - that it was a business decision to do that (for low cost business machines i guess)