VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I know I have discussed it elsewhere, though I am looking to check out all options. With a lack of slots on my Windows 98 build (Asus P2B,) what are my options for connecting to the internet or to my LAN? On previous builds, I connected to the internet through MS-DOS (Arachne,) Windows 3.11 (Netscape Navigator,) and Windows 98SE (various.) However, it was on a 486 and I had a slot available for a NIC. Currently, I do not have this option.

I see all sorts of serial/ethernet adapters, though I know that usually, they aren't for surfing the web and downloading data. Is there ANYTHING that would work with serial/parallel ports? I will be getting an external dial-up serial port modem, though it will for experimenting with visiting various BBS still in existence, and I may create my own BBS. I think that there will be very few sites where I could comfortably connect with a 56k V.92 modem, though I will try... Hehehe...

I could use a USB-LAN adapter. This mobo is either USB 1.0 or 1.1. It may work, though it will be slow. I know that there are USB drivers for DOS, such as the drivers created by Brett Johnson, though I don't know if that would work in this instance, leaving only W98 for internet/LAN connectivity.

I used to connect two PCs with a serial cable with a null-modem adapter to play Blood, Doom, Wing Commander Armada, Duke 3d, and the original Warcraft. Is there a way to connect to the internet through another PC with internet connection sharing? I used to share the internet between PCs so that friends could play Ultima Online in the same room, using ICS and a cross over ethernet cable connected to a hub. Would a serial-to-ethernet adapter allow for ICS? Is there a router/switch with serial ports?

That is all I can think of. I have a feeling that if I want any real connectivity, I will need to sacrifice either my Voodoo 4mb or forget about having that with a V2 SLI set up.

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could always get a PCI slot expansion chassis to add more PCI slots.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-07, 23:20:

You could always get a PCI slot expansion chassis to add more PCI slots.

Interesting... Such a thing would allow me to add USB 2.0 ports, and sata ports, and other cards... How does such a thing work? Are there built in bridges, and how does it handle resources? Can you recommend anything in particular?