VOGONS

DOS CD-Rom issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-10, 13:19:

U4 is missing from the soundcard. Does anybody know if the IDE/ATAPI port requires it?

I recieved PC with that soundcard and the CDRom connected to it. Motherboard was faulty so I couldn't boot it, but I think that someone who used that PC used that sound card with cdrom. And judging from that, U4 chip isn't required to run IDE port.

Reply 21 of 81, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-10, 13:19:

U4 is missing from the soundcard. Does anybody know if the IDE/ATAPI port requires it?

Datasheet for the CS4237B has pins 1-3, which look like they only go to U4, being related to wavetable data, but also multiplexed with the X D[7..0] bus (external data).

To quote from the datasheet about the X D pins:

These pins are used to transfer data between the ISA bus and external devices such as the modem and CDROM. These pins are also multiplexed with two serial ports.
The second serial port connects to the CS9236 Single-Chip Wavetable Music Synthesizer and uses pins X D7-X D5.

That said, it looks like the IDE data just gets routed directly to the ISA slot, so the 4237 is probably using the X D pins for an optional wavetable interface. Maybe it only needs to use the multiplexing option if the chip is on an 8-bit card. There are some extra pins across the top of the chip (pin 91-94) that look to be CD interface control.

Any chance of a picture of the back of the card as well? I'm guessing the problem is finding the right driver, but it might give some clues to see where signals are routed.

Also, and I'm sure this has already been checked, but the header isn't keyed so it would be possible to plug the cable in the wrong way around.

Reply 23 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here You go

Attachments

Reply 24 of 81, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the right drivers an IDE cdrom should work from a sound card just fine. I have an OS/2 v3 486dx2/66 system set up this way. Sound cards usually had a jumper so you could use IDE channel 3 or 4.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 25 of 81, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stack your oakcdrom.sys or vide-cdd.sys lines to try various combinations:

device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:170,15 /d:secondary
device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:168,10 /d:tertiary
device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:1e8,11 /d:quaternary

Then see which of them detects the drive. It's not very likely the IDE port will be using 1F0, 14 since that's the primary IDE address and IRQ.

Reply 26 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlaricD wrote on 2021-05-10, 16:43:
Stack your oakcdrom.sys or vide-cdd.sys lines to try various combinations: […]
Show full quote

Stack your oakcdrom.sys or vide-cdd.sys lines to try various combinations:

device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:170,15 /d:secondary
device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:168,10 /d:tertiary
device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:1e8,11 /d:quaternary

Then see which of them detects the drive. It's not very likely the IDE port will be using 1F0, 14 since that's the primary IDE address and IRQ.

All adresses give the same error

Reply 27 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found what can be a problem here. If I use these driver I have been using, during the initialization process it gives message Logical Drive 4 I/O = 360, Disabled IRQ= 11 DMA = 3. In the config fine there is line Device4I/O2= Disabled. As far as I have noticed, this device 4 is CDRom. ( When I change cdrom irq and dma, these of device4 also changes) so maybe there is some kind of problem.

Reply 28 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 18:14:

I have found what can be a problem here. If I use these driver I have been using, during the initialization process it gives message Logical Drive 4 I/O = 360, Disabled IRQ= 11 DMA = 3. In the config fine there is line Device4I/O2= Disabled. As far as I have noticed, this device 4 is CDRom. ( When I change cdrom irq and dma, these of device4 also changes) so maybe there is some kind of problem.

Disabled IRQ11 ? unless your cdrom driver uses some sort of polling which would make it a real resource hog, you'll definitely want that enabled.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2021-05-10, 19:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 30 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 19:00:

I think it's more like the adresses of the CDRom are 360 and disabled rather than the IRQ11 is disabled.

yeah, it's a bit tricky, either way, you'll want that enabled 😀
oh and you might want to check the trace on pin 35 of the ide connector for continuity. Just to be sure. It seems to have gotten a little scrape, though it might just be the coating flaking off.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 32 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 19:04:

Tried to change something with that 'disabled adress' but still it says' no device found'

first you'll need to get that line to say nothing with disabled,
then you'll need to set the line for the cdrom driver to
device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:360,11 /d:CDROM
change [path] to the exact location of the sys file.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 33 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-10, 19:11:
first you'll need to get that line to say nothing with disabled, then you'll need to set the line for the cdrom driver to device […]
Show full quote
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 19:04:

Tried to change something with that 'disabled adress' but still it says' no device found'

first you'll need to get that line to say nothing with disabled,
then you'll need to set the line for the cdrom driver to
device=[path]\oakcdrom.sys /p:360,11 /d:CDROM
change [path] to the exact location of the sys file.

Tried that, no result

Reply 34 of 81, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just as an exercise I traced what I could see of the traces (with a little guesswork behind components). I noticed the mark that Weedeewee pointed out, it's on the A0 line (circled in yellow), so check for continuity between pin 35 on the IDE connector and pin A31 on the ISA slot (also pin 25 on U1). Some of the traces go behind the sticker on the back, I think they go to pin 92 and 94 on U1 (CDCS & CDINT).

Does the soundcard work as a soundcard? Reading the datsheet for the 4237, it looks like there are some registers to set up the CD interface, so things will probably only work if the soundcard is working. Also, do you have a copy of Win98 to hand? That auto-detects the MKE bus CD drive I have plugged in to an SB16 without having to set anything up (think I may have had to reserve IRQ5 in the BIOS). Given MKE is more obscure, it might be able to auto-detect IDE stuff as well.

Attachments

Reply 35 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-10, 21:18:

Does the soundcard work as a soundcard?

It play sounds if I understand your question correctly. And yes, I have other PC that runs Win98. So should I connect that card to win98 Pc and see if it detects cdrom?

Reply 36 of 81, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-10, 21:34:

It play sounds if I understand your question correctly. And yes, I have other PC that runs Win98. So should I connect that card to win98 Pc and see if it detects cdrom?

Yeah, just thought it was worth checking to make sure the chip was responding. Give the card a try in Win98 and see what happens; it found my drive without having to load any DOS drivers.

Also, if you do have a multimeter, do check out the continuity on the traces between the IDE header and the ISA connector, particularly the pin 35 trace Weedeewee mentioned. Also check those couple of traces that I think go to pins 92 & 94 on U1. One of those is the interrupt request signal from the drive which I think U1 passed on to the ISA bus. Any issue on the interrupt line would break things, and vias do sometimes crack.