DOS CD-Rom issues

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 81, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-10, 13:19:

U4 is missing from the soundcard. Does anybody know if the IDE/ATAPI port requires it?

As the other chips are a soundchip, an amplifier and a TTL logic chip: yes, I think the missing chip would be for the IDE port. I guess someone soldered that connector on but never realized you need the electronics in there too... There is a CDROM interface that would talk to the actual controller chip, be it IDE or a Panasonic/Mitsumi/Sony/whatever other proprietary interface CDROM.

http://dosdays.co.uk/media/crystal/CS4237B_datasheet.pdf

Last edited by evasive on 2021-05-11, 09:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which io/irq/dma did the soundcard cdrom port have in the win98 machine ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 43 of 81, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-11, 10:12:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:52:

I'm sorry, how to check that?

The properties of the device in the Win98 device manager.

Reply 44 of 81, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-11, 08:54:

Tried to run it with the CDROM that was correctly recognised under Win98, still ' No device found'

I've got confused here. So you've tried the soundcard, with a CDROM attached to it, in Win98, and the CDROM worked? If that's the case then the problem in DOS must be the driver.

evasive wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:52:

As the other chips are a soundchip, an amplifier and a TTL logic chip: yes, I think the missing chip would be for the IDE port. I guess someone soldered that connector on but never realized you need the electronics in there too... There is a CDROM interface that would talk to the actual controller chip, be it IDE or a Panasonic/Mitsumi/Sony/whatever other proprietary interface CDROM.

http://dosdays.co.uk/media/crystal/CS4237B_datasheet.pdf

I can't see anything except the board level reset connecting from U4 to the IDE port. Most of the routed pins on the IDE port go directly to the ISA slot, with all except the top 8 data bits and IOCS shared with the soundchip. IDE pin 31 (INTRQ), 37 (CS1) and 38 (CS3) route only to the soundchip. From skimming the soundchip datasheet, it looks like it handles passing on the appropriate interrupt request based on what gets set by PnP. I think U4 is to do with wavetable stuff.

Reply 45 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I have tried to use 3 cdroms with that soundcard in Windows98. All three work if connected to onboard IDE controller , but only Samsung one worked while connected to the soundcard. Tried to use that Samsung one with DOS, but I still recieve ' no device found' error.

Reply 46 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2021-05-11, 10:40:
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-11, 10:12:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:52:

I'm sorry, how to check that?

The properties of the device in the Win98 device manager.

Correction...

in windows 98 device manager,
view devices by connection,
find the cdrom
open the properties of the device to which the cdrom is connected and view the details.

at least, I think that's it... can't recall it's been so long, close enough though. 😀

Do not ask Why !

Reply 48 of 81, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-11, 10:57:
Correction... […]
Show full quote

Correction...

in windows 98 device manager,
view devices by connection,
find the cdrom
open the properties of the device to which the cdrom is connected and view the details.

at least, I think that's it... can't recall it's been so long, close enough though. 😀

Yep, so on mine the MKE bus is listed at the top level. The IDE motherboard ports are under:
Computer -> ACPI -> PCI -> VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
If I right-click on that, then go to Properties -> Resources then it shows the IO and IRQ for both primary and secondary IDE ports.

The resource for the MKE drive only shows the IO range (0230-0237) and doesn't show any indication that it's hanging off the soundcard.

If you view by type, then it should either be under "CD-ROM controllers" or "Hard disk controllers".

Reply 54 of 81, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-11, 12:26:

Tried that, nothing changed

Could you post your config.sys and autoexec.bat? I'm guessing there needs to be some sound card driver or PnP setup loaded first to initialise the CDROM registers in the sound chip.

Reply 55 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what are the odds of getting a dump of the eeprom on the soundcard ? 😀

Do not ask Why !

Reply 56 of 81, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-11, 12:38:

Could you post your config.sys and autoexec.bat? I'm guessing there needs to be some sound card driver or PnP setup loaded first to initialise the CDROM registers in the sound chip.

So that's the autoexec.bat and config.sys connected to CDROM and that soundcard :
[autoexec.bat]
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM /L:D
[config.sys]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\SOUND\CS4232C.EXE /V /O /VSS4232.INI
DEVICE=C:\DOS\DOAKCDROM.SYS /P:168,11 /D:CDROM

Last edited by Bernkastel7734 on 2021-05-11, 13:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 58 of 81, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2021-05-11, 12:54:
So that's the autoexec.bat and config.sys connected to CDROM and that soundcard : [autoexec.bat] SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 LH C […]
Show full quote
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-11, 12:38:

So that's the autoexec.bat and config.sys connected to CDROM and that soundcard :
[autoexec.bat]
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
LH C:\DOS\MSCDRX.EXE /D:CDROM /L:D
[config.sys]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\SOUND\CS4232C.EXE /V /O /VSS4232.INI
DEVICE=C:\DOS\DOAKCDROM.SYS /P:360,11 /D:CDROM

Does it really say MSCDRX instead of MSCDEX?