VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to take an SDram slot from 1 motherboard (desoldering) and put it on my high price broken motherboard.

and i have another motherboard that is a dual socket370 with one of the brackets broken, so i need to take a socket370 from a dead motherboard and swap it, desolder the broken one and put the good one

has anyone done that with retro hardware? what is the difficulty of such thing. One time i tried to remove a simm slot from a 486 using hot air and it was a mess, the blastic burned, and the sim slot bended

Reply 1 of 1, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have swapped RAM slots on multiple boards. I have also replaced 486 LIF sockets with ZIF sockets.
I use a desoldering pump to unsolder each pin individually. It is a tedious time consuming process with hundreds of pins on later sockets but it can be done.
Because of the large power and ground planes on the socket some pins are harder to unsolder than others and it makes sense to preheat the board.

Similarly when using hot air for unsoldering large components you have to preheat the board and then use high temperatures and high air flow to quickly remove the socket before the heat can damage the components.