VOGONS

First post, by Pentium Baron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As we know Cyrix 5x86 was manufactured by IBM and SGS-Thomson. According to my research the Cyrix branded chips with the distinctive green heatsinlk were simply marked Cyrix on the underside of the chip. Like can be seen here:

back
front

Except for mine! I got achip with the factory glued heatsinlk but marked with both Cyrix and IBM underneath. I believe this strange chip may hold a dark mystery, perhaps even a trail of blood. I imagine Cyrix engineers at the chip packaging plant missed their production target and for fear of loosing their bonus or worse snuck into the IBM part of the warehouse in the middle of the night , stole some IBM-destined chips and slapped green Cyrix heatsinks on them.

I've read that IBM had much more stringent qc on their chips, could it be that this chip holds untapped overclocking potential? has anyone else seen such a strange creature?

Pictures of my Chimera chip attached

Attachments

• IMG_0464.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_0464.JPEG
    File size
    331.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0463.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_0463.JPEG
    File size
    368.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Retro business software junkie. Currently rocking Macola Accounting + Symantec Time Line

Reply 1 of 1, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pentium Baron wrote on 2021-05-13, 13:52:

I've read that IBM had much more stringent qc on their chips, could it be that this chip holds untapped overclocking potential?

Only one way to find out. Get a fan on that thing, find a quality motherboard and change those jumpers.