VOGONS

First post, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
First of all: Hi Everyone! I'm new to Vogons (as a registered user, in fact I've been lurking for some time now), please let me know if I'm breaking any rules 😀

Now to the point: I have two motherboards, that for different reasons have missing components. I'd like to know if any member here has the same motherboards and can send me detailed pictures so I know what is missing.

First one is an M396F v2.6, which has a soldered-in AMD 386 CPU. When I got it it had extensive corrosion damage due to a leaking battery, so I tried to repair it. I removed every component in the affected area, cleaned the corrosion, and started putting the components back in. Fortunately no traces were damaged in the process. The issue is, I wrote the values of most of the components, but for some reason didn't write down the values of the ceramic capacitors in the area. So now I have to replace a few of them (one of them split in half, and I broke the legs of a few others during removal) and don't know where they go. I have notes I took while I was removing them, and could find some pictures online that helped me see most of the values, but I am still in doubt about two of them. So to summarize what I really need is a picture like this one: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 840554_orig.jpg (from https://www.philscomputerlab.com/forcom-m396f.html), but taken from the left, so I can see the values of those capacitors.

The second board is a PKM-0037s, a 486 board which was also damaged when I got it. It also has a bit of corrosion, but nothing too bad. The problem with it is that the corner of the board where the power and kb connectors are is completely missing, the rest of the board looks to be ok. I have *some* hope I can fix it considering I don't really see any traces going in that area and it seems I only need to put a few missing components. Again, if someone has this board and can send me pictures of the area where the components (and their values) can be seen, and from the bottom side so I can see where the traces should go, it would be great. I'm attaching a photo of the broken area, but here is a picture I found online: https://www.clous.cz/wp-content/gallery/dtk-p … PKM-0037S-1.jpg. Mine is not exactly the same, it says "E-2" in the corner instead of "E-5" and most of the ceramic capacitors in the photo are SMD capacitors in mine, but apart from that they look the same.

Thanks in advance 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, just to give closure to this thread after a long time 😀 I'm going through some organizing of my storage because I'm moving, found these boards again and thought on writing a "conclusion".

The 486 board is now part of a pile I'll take to a recycler. I didn't trust my ability to fix it with that damage, and over time I started taking pieces out of it to fix other boards (or rather, to test possible fixes to then do them properly with new components)

The 386 motherboard I got it to work, not sure if I actually installed all caps with the proper values but it is booting. As the power connector was one of the things corroded, I installed the power connector from the 486 board 😀

Regards

Reply 2 of 6, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlitosbala wrote on 2022-03-18, 00:21:
Alright, just to give closure to this thread after a long time :) I'm going through some organizing of my storage because I'm mo […]
Show full quote

Alright, just to give closure to this thread after a long time 😀 I'm going through some organizing of my storage because I'm moving, found these boards again and thought on writing a "conclusion".

The 486 board is now part of a pile I'll take to a recycler. I didn't trust my ability to fix it with that damage, and over time I started taking pieces out of it to fix other boards (or rather, to test possible fixes to then do them properly with new components)

The 386 motherboard I got it to work, not sure if I actually installed all caps with the proper values but it is booting. As the power connector was one of the things corroded, I installed the power connector from the 486 board 😀

Regards

Dumping even a defect 486 board is a sin and you'll end up in hell for this 😀
Maybe this helps: https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/1933

However, at least you try to find somebody who would take it for the shipping costs. The worst thing that can happen is that it will be used for spare parts to repair another board.
Please don't dump it 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-03-18, 01:00:
Dumping even a defect 486 board is a sin and you'll end up in hell for this :) Maybe this helps: https://www.ultimateretro.net/e […]
Show full quote
carlitosbala wrote on 2022-03-18, 00:21:
Alright, just to give closure to this thread after a long time :) I'm going through some organizing of my storage because I'm mo […]
Show full quote

Regards

Dumping even a defect 486 board is a sin and you'll end up in hell for this 😀
Maybe this helps: https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/1933

However, at least you try to find somebody who would take it for the shipping costs. The worst thing that can happen is that it will be used for spare parts to repair another board.
Please don't dump it 😀

I second that, please don't dump it - especially as prices for 486 probably doubled since your original post.

And, shame on the Vogons community for not giving any advice - I myself obviously know a bit less than Jon Snow, but some others here, you could do better!

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 6, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I guess I can do a final pass on it, it's true that it is a shame to destroy it. I did notice the prices have been going up, I'm regretting trading my Am486 DX4 120 CPU for a few ISA cards last year. But at the same time, aside from a small group of enthusiasts, there isn't a lot of interest in my country for this kind of thing, it's more collectors getting CPUs than retro-gamers wanting full machines. I got the two boards I was asking about here, plus a 286 board with a Harris 25MHz CPU for the equivalent of 30 USD from a recycler. And as for shipping, I doubt anyone will be interested in paying 40USD in shipping only unless the hardware is extremely rare

As it happens, I have another broken 486 board that had the BIOS chip put backwards when I got it (unfortunately only realized it after it got quite hot) that I'm keeping in case I eventually get a BIOS programmer, the one I bought via ebay in October 2020 should be arriving any time soon...

Sorry, I digress.

HanSolo, thanks for the link, although the photo is the same I'm linking in my post. I still don't know what the values of the two caps in the top-left (near the chokes) should be, nor I have the traces to know whether those chokes should go in parallel or belong to different traces. Any hint regarding how I should attempt the repair would be very appreciated.

Cuttoon, I just assume the board might be an uncommon one and not many people have it. Between these being old enough to be forgotten by most of the web, plus the fact that sometimes the hardware I get is a localized model with different model ID than the version sold in Europe or the US, sometimes I simply assume the info is not there anymore.

I'll try to put the board together again, first the pieces I took out of it (mainly chips and a few caps, plus the power connector) and then what was missing from the beginning. I'll report the progress here if you are interested 😁

The truth is I'm probably leaving this hardware hobby behind, for some time at least. I won't be able to take my "iron wives" (as my wife calls the PCs I have in the garage) to my new place, so I'm trying to find new homes for what works, and get rid of what doesn't. It would be awesome if this one can be in the "working" pile at the end

Regards

Edit: nevermind the values of the caps in the corner, I reviewed the board and they are in place, no need to replace them

Reply 5 of 6, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm afraid I won't be a big help since my hardware-fixing-skills are less than mediocre. I know how to hold a soldering iron but not how to find the actual problems. And repairing mainboards might be extra-hard because at some point in time they used multilayer-boards.

But at least I found the original source of the photo of the mainboard: https://www.clous.cz/motherboard-kolekce-2/ (scroll down to DTK PKM-0037S). Seems to be a collector from the Czech Republic, so maybe he could be asked for more detailed information.

I must admit that storing broken hardware is somewhat silly. It's only that 486-boards are getting rarer so I thought that even a broken one could at least serve as a donator for spare parts.

Reply 6 of 6, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took a shot and wrote an email, with some luck I can get some additional info 😀

My knowledge of hardware is quite limited too, I can only count a couple of successes with plenty of failures, but I'm still trying to learn and every board that gets back to life is a huge achievement 🙂

Thanks for your help so far