VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I found a replacement Tomato 4DPS board, purchased from a really cool Russian individual who I wish I could have a beer with. SO far so good, except that it seems to have stability issues with optical drives (I also had to swap IDE cables until I found one that worked in order to detect and use CF cards in an IDE/CF adapter;) specifically an NEC CDR-273 quad speed drive that I hunted down for max DOS game compatibility. Slaved is a Teac DVD-ROM drive. The 4DPS never lists optical drives as being detected, either in the bios or during the boot process (when the window pops up with the box listing drives, ports, etc.) However, the drive driver and mscdex does assign a drive letter. When I try to access a CD (using a Microsoft Intellipoint 3.0 driver CD for testing,) I either get an abort, retry, fail error OR an error that reads something like: CDR 103 Error: Not of High Sierra Format or ISO 9960 Format. The CDR-273 works just fine in my Ultimate P3 Retro build.

Also, when using just the DVD-ROM drive, when I use the dir command to read the contents of a CD, I get a switch error, though it then displays the CD directory/files. The driver I am using is qcdrom.sys (DEVICEHIGH /L:1,4096 =D:\DRIVERS\CDROM\QCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001)

Any ideas? I am hoping to rectify this situation and to be able to have a quad speed as the main optical drive in this 486 box! Also, the bios chip on this is one of those UV light chips with bios version 1.5. Is it worth trying to find a chip or a bios flashing service to put the 1.72 bios (I think that is the version) on this board?

Thank you!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After playing around with jumpers (there are two jumper blocks on the CDR-273; the master/slave/c.s. block, and another block for single/factory/factory - don't know what that means,) trying different switches, and finally changing the driver to vide-cdd.sys, I can now read discs. However, every time I give the dir or dir/p command, the directory list is preceded by:

(Error occurred in environment variable)

I will look that up, and try to attach the DVD-ROM as a slave. I read that vide-cdd.sys could cause issues with certain games, though who knows...

At any rate, the NEC CDR-273 and qcdrom.sys apparently are not on friendly terms...

Reply 2 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have never run into so many issues trying to connect a slave optical drive. Maybe the CDR-273 hates certain drives as slaves. I keep messing with the jumpers, because the DVD drive either isn't seen, neither are seen, or the system starts rebooting in a loop. My last 4DPS has just a DVD drive connected. Having the 4x cdrom will be great for games, and a DVD drive is like having small, read-only hard drives on discs, basically. This could come in handy, as I'm not sure what the maximum supported hard drive size is on these 4DPS boards.