VOGONS

First post, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons, so i've recently been on a search to find an AMI WinBIOS with full on (or at least most) support for ACPI. The last year when WinBIOS was most commonly seen was 1997, which was early in ACPI's life, which might make this a bit harder. I've found by looking on the internet that SuperMicro was really the only option to find this. Through emulation, i've noticed that the P6SBA has a toggle for an ACPI control register, but not much outside of that. The only BIOS that i have been able to test (on 86box) that had a full on "ACPI" option was the 1.5a (revision 3) version of the P6SLA, although i haven't been able to verify if it has only half or full ACPI support. So it would be nice to know if any other WinBIOS ever had full ACPI support. Thanks.

Attachments

Fresh off playing Pinball on the school computers.

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a dim recollection of coming across it on another PII board, not sure if it was mine or someone elses, but despite the mid shock (Eww, thought we were done with this crap) I can't recall details. Might have been an Abit, they were always trying weird stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-22, 21:46:

Got a dim recollection of coming across it on another PII board, not sure if it was mine or someone elses, but despite the mid shock (Eww, thought we were done with this crap) I can't recall details. Might have been an Abit, they were always trying weird stuff.

Just to close this thread, WinBIOS with full ACPI support does exist and was commonly used by TriGem in their AMI Slot 1/Socket 370 boards.

Reply 3 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What PC emulation are you using to test arbitrary BIOSes? I've tried PCem but being forced to choose a BIOS file format that is commensurate with a specific motherboard is a real pain

Reply 4 of 5, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-02-19, 16:42:

What PC emulation are you using to test arbitrary BIOSes? I've tried PCem but being forced to choose a BIOS file format that is commensurate with a specific motherboard is a real pain

I mainly use 86box to test roms in an emulator, although renaming rom names/extensions is something I've just gotten used to at this point so it's pretty quick to do, then clear nvr (only if your currently selected machine is the same as the one you're swapping to) and boot your machine.
Sometimes rom files don't match the size of the specific motherboard, so you have to go looking for one with that size (you can do this more easily by looking directly at src/machine/yourcpuclass.c in the 86box source code or simply changing the rom size of a machine in bytes and recompiling the program). Any board with the same chipset as the bios you want to test should work most of the time.