VOGONS

First post, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an AST Bravo MS 5166 that is perpetually under construction. It has an Intel Advanced/RH motherboard with an AST bios. My problem is that even though I disable the parallel and serial ports, as well as disabling the on board sound, Win95/98 will always detect those items.

I've tried a number of combinations, marking them as add-in, or built-in, setting the OS as PNP or not. I think I've fiddled with every conceivable combination in the bios. Win95/98 will always detect them. I've even set it up with a DOS/Win311 installation, and the sound blaster software will still detect it under DOS when I've set the bios to disable it.

In the grand scheme of things, I can always disable those things within Win95/98, but am I doing something wrong with the bios and just not seeing it correctly? I have two motherboards, one with Vibra 16C and the other with a Vibra 16S. One has the AST 1.04 bios, the other has the 1.03 bios. The same thing happens with both boards.

I've tried to flash the bios with the actual Intel Advanced/RH bios and that has been unsuccessful. I've also tried to find a MRBios bios and that has also been unsuccessful.

Is this something that will have to be lived with? Or is there something I'm not doing correctly?

Searching for a Packard Bell 15" CRT Monitor - 1511SL or 1512SL