VOGONS

First post, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers Folks - First post here, but a long-time user of this awesome forums. I need the help of a veteran retro person 😀

I finally made the step to build-up a "kinda retro" system to enjoy some old 1990-2005 era games.
For this I built-up a little machine with:
Mainboard: AsRock 775i65G Rev2.0
CPU: Intel Pentium E2220 (2x2.4Ghz)
Ram: 1GB DDR400 (considering lowering to 512mb)
Graphics: GF 6800GT
Audio: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
HDD: (SSD)Kingston 256GB msata in a msata->sata enclosure, conected to the SATA1Port
Partition: 1 - 5GB FAT32 / 2 - 5GB NTFS (not being used atm) / 110GB FAT32 / rest-unused due to the 127GB limitation of Win98.

Now, I installed 98SE + 98se unofficial service pack 3.66 + 98SE2ME Patch (First install option).
The system runs.... okay..... it sometimes crashes, and I suspect it'S the large amount of RAM (I did not patch anything or edited any config, because I read somewhere that the 98usp 3.66 does that for me.
I can live with the crashes (or hangings when booting the system up). A lot of games also run without problems.

BUT

Every time I want to add another hard drive (I bought some 120GB SSDs for this), no matter how and where I format them (I usually do this via a linux boot medium or some sort), when I put files onto those drives from another computer, the content can'T be read from my retro box. I can see the files in the main directory, but as soon as I want to open any folder or file, Windows gives me the middlefinger with the error message "xxx is not accessible. The drive cannot find the sector requested".
Why am I getting this error? I tried 2 different SSDs (another 120GM msata with an enclosure to SATA, and a 120GB SATA drive - connected either to the second SATA port or connected to USB with an adapter - always the same result. I'm kinda out of ideas here. Has anyone made similar experiences?
I did chose the 120GB thingies because I'm not sure if it is possible to have more than that on a drive / if there are any patches that support larger drives etc...

So, if you could enlighten me on these 2 topics, I would be extremely grateful!
- Why am I not able to put another HDD in the machine without having those corruption errors?
- Is it possible for me to install a bigger drive than 127GB and partition it properly and have a running 9x system without crashes? If yes, can you guide me through with the Info which patches/mods are needed for this?

THANK YOU very much! 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by fgenesis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You totally want to install the rloew memory patch. And then slap in 4 GB of RAM and it'll happily work.
Crashes every now and then could also be related to drivers, don't install more than you need and don't change the hardware after installing drivers. 98 is very picky about this and i've had to reinstall multiple times because of old, lingering drivers that didn't want to be fixed.

Are your other drives also FAT32-formatted?
In my experience you better format the drive on the win98-machine because more modern formatting tools don't always work for some reason. win98 formatting also checks that the bios can access each sector properly and will pop a warning if it can't. That's happened to me a few times and caught possible problems early (but that was on a 2001-ish P3-mobo, not a more modern one like yours). Also run a full scandisk, that also checks for bios/sector access.

Is it possible for me to install a bigger drive than 127GB and partition it

I'm also interested in an answer. My 98 box doesn't have any larger HDDs for exactly that reason...

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have "FUN" with the unofficial service pack. I won't use it anymore because it seems to just cause issues.

Last time I used it successfully was way back when it only included the official Microsoft updates.

Now I just use the 2004 Microsoft update CD which is available on vogonsdrivers.com, NUSB, and any rloew patches I need which are available on archive.org
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=8 … &menustate=56,0
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator% … olph+R.+Loew%22

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fgenesis wrote on 2021-05-26, 15:30:

You totally want to install the rloew memory patch. And then slap in 4 GB of RAM and it'll happily work.
Crashes every now and then could also be related to drivers, don't install more than you need and don't change the hardware after installing drivers. 98 is very picky about this and i've had to reinstall multiple times because of old, lingering drivers that didn't want to be fixed.

Gonna try that and hope 98 stays stable. Can I install this even after all those modified patches I installed (unofficial SP + 98se2me)?

Are your other drives also FAT32-formatted?
In my experience you better format the drive on the win98-machine because more modern formatting tools don't always work for some reason. win98 formatting also checks that the bios can access each sector properly and will pop a warning if it can't. That's happened to me a few times and caught possible problems early (but that was on a 2001-ish P3-mobo, not a more modern one like yours). Also run a full scandisk, that also checks for bios/sector access.

Absolutely fat32-formatted.
Doesn't a windows formatting take ages?
I tried formatting that "faulty" drive I am talking about, and even that failed. So no way my windows System was able to work on that drive at all - that's why I suspect that something else might be problematic here.

I'm also interested in an answer. My 98 box doesn't have any larger HDDs for exactly that reason...

I guess I'll try my luck with this package: https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2020 … hes-bundle.html.
Maybe this fixes something.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-26, 17:19:
Have "FUN" with the unofficial service pack. I won't use it anymore because it seems to just cause issues. […]
Show full quote

Have "FUN" with the unofficial service pack. I won't use it anymore because it seems to just cause issues.

Last time I used it successfully was way back when it only included the official Microsoft updates.

Now I just use the 2004 Microsoft update CD which is available on vogonsdrivers.com, NUSB, and any rloew patches I need which are available on archive.org
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=8 … &menustate=56,0
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator% … olph+R.+Loew%22

Thanks for your input. - Will any of these patches fix the 137GB limit? If yes - awesome 😀
I'll try these thingies out and report back about my findings regarding this.
Thank you!

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For troubleshooting I'd keep things as simple as possible and just the 120GB SATA drive to start with.
Use standard windows fdisk and format, they are more basic then alternatives but this means they wont do anything "fancy" that Win98 doesn't understand.
Fdisk takes a while, if you run format d: /q that'll be quick (Replace D with the drive letter of the new drive)

You'll want the updated fdisk program, (no idea if the unofficial service pack includes this)
http://ftp.twaren.net/cpatch/msupdate/win98se … /backup/q263044

However your really pushing 98 to its limits here (which I expect is the aim of the build in part).
My overkill 98 build wasn't quite so ambitious, P4p800 S478, 4GB ram, GF6800 Ultra AGP

What I did was install Win98 on a 4GB partition, then data, then XP. Maybe having Win98 access end of the drive is causing problems?
I had no end of problems till installing the Rlowe memory patch, that improved things but it was never as stable as I would have liked.
I never liked the unofficial patches so didn't install them

That was a learning experience for me so installed 98 on a 4GB partition a 60GB IDE drive although was surprised how well setting bios to SATA Compatibility mode worked and probably would have just used a smaller SATA drive next time round if I kept that build. I always install Win98 on a partition at 4GB to speed up scandisk runs.

What I can tell you though is 98 was very happy accessing a ~640GB RAID drive made up of a pair of 320 drives using the onboard raid controller. Keep in mind I wasn't booting off this and it was partitioned (I cant remember the actual size of the partitions)

Reply 5 of 9, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, this build is really to push the limits and see how far I can go. But at the end of the day, the stability is a killer.

Quick update on my findings:
I kept things simple and did as suggested: windows98SE + NUSB, and the updates from the CD + the RAM and the large Drive Patch from rloew.
This didn’t really solve my problem - probably because the onboard SATA controller makes problems as soon as I connect another HDD to it. But it does allow me to have a 199GB data partition and fill it up above the 127 GB without any flaws.
Sidenote: you totally want to install the „DMA for all (E)IDE/(P)ATA Hard Disks“ from the U98ESP3 as it increases the Game loading times and overall HDD operations drastically. Even for SATA Bus drives (like I am using).

What I did experience was that even tho the system boots up with 1GB of Ram, it hangs a lot and causes a lot of problems. Using only 512MB makes the system way more stable and makes it enjoyable.
Is anyone also experiencing huge instabilities with the RAM patch and with more than 512 MB ram?

Reply 6 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had the complete opposite experience.
I remember I had loads of trouble with drivers. From memory installing the Audigy 2 ZS drivers always caused a bluescreen and and GF6 drivers couldn't detect the card and also maybe bluescreened.
This all went away after installing the rlowe mem patch.
I also used the patch on 2 identical Compaq D510's with 2GB trouble free.

You could try this, It was written before rlowe patches became free but it wouldn't hurt to apply the patch AND modify the system ini file
How to install Windows 98SE on a modern PC

Reply 7 of 9, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I‘m going to give that a try and report back about my findings.

Regarding Graphics drivers - no problem whatsoever. The Nvidia installer did all the work for me and there was no need to do anything afterwards.

Reply 8 of 9, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had a little trouble once because the BIOS of computer one detected the drive the one way and the second compete the other way. In size the same but CSH differed.

Results were I was able to boot and use the first 12% of the drive, but above that everything have the same error.

Repartitioning on compete 2 solved the problem on compete 2 but raiders the same on computer 1.

Doing a manual CSH override solved the issue entirely eventually and the disk workers for another three years (and then the motor gave up)

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 9 of 9, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What a mistery! I‘m going to get myself a sata PCI card and go from there. But only for research purposes.
Since I was able to use a partition over 128Gb, I can stick to 1 drive.
Now I just need to fix the stability of the system when having more than 512mb ram. But I guess that I will open a separate thread for this.