VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I am doing a retro project I have certain go to equipment that I use in almost every build that I do. I do not require period correct hardware. I am much more focused on ease of use. For the following builds I have the following items on my checklist:

XT computer:

Lo-Tech 2MB EMS board
Lo-Tech 1MB card for upper memory support
XTIDE Compact Flash ISA card
ET4000AX ISA video card (This is almost always compatible with an 8-bit slot)
3Com 3C509B ISA network card or XirCom PE3-10BT parallel Ethernet adapter

286 computer:

Lo-Tech 2MB EMS board
XTIDE CompactFlash to IDE adapter
ET4000AX ISA video card
3Com 3C509B ISA network card or XirCom PE3-10BT parallel Ethernet adapter

386 computer:

XTIDE CompactFlash to IDE adapter
WD90C31 ISA video card for Windows 3.x video acceleration
3Com 3C509B ISA network card

The use of CompactFlash storage for easy access to install and transfer software is the highest on my list, followed by a network card and lastly the video card. Just curious of others out there use the same methodology.

Reply 1 of 6, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rather than do the floppy shuffle or in this case the compact flash card shuffle there is an easier way.
Setup a workstation or server with image distribution software. Like they use in schools to reload the classroom computers.
Software was available back in 1997 like “Lab expert - image blaster”.
This software installs on Windows NT 4.0
And the client installs on the PC’s in a hidden partition that never gets erased even when the computer is reloaded with a new install.
The way it works is that everytime the PC’s on the network is rebooted they check in with the managing software on the Server. They look for an assignment if no new assigned image is present they just reboot with there originally installed image.
But if they do have a new assignment on the server they will download and install the newly assigned image.
You can make images for any computer and have preloaded programs and applications installed on the images so
You can quickly and easily put a new image on the hard drives in minutes.

Once you figure it out its really easy setup and administer and a real time saver. You could use the server as your primary PC and when
A user request a new install just assign then a new image and in minutes they will have it installed and be up and running.
This elevates any downtime for the users.
You can create images in DOS, Win3x, OS2, Win95,NT4.0, UNIX, Linux, etc.....

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-05-27, 13:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-26, 17:06:
Rather than do the floppy shuffle or in this case the compact flash card shuffle there is an easier way. Setup a workstation or […]
Show full quote

Rather than do the floppy shuffle or in this case the compact flash card shuffle there is an easier way.
Setup a workstation or server with image distribution software. Like they use in schools to reload the classroom computers.
Software was available back in 1997 like “Lab expert - image blaster”.
This software installs on Windows NT 4.0
And the client installs on the PC’s in a hidden partition that never gets erased even when the computer in reloaded with a new install.
The way it works is that everytime the PC’s on the network is rebooted they check in with the managing software on the Server. They look for an assignment if no new assigned image is present they just reboot with there originally installed image.
But if they do have a new assignment on the server they will download and install the newly assigned image.
You can make images for any computer and have preloaded programs and applications installed on the images so
You can quickly and easily put a new image on the hard drives in minutes.

Once you figure it out its really easy setup and administer and a real time saver. You could use the server as your primary PC and when
A user request a new install just assign then a new image and in minutes they will have it installed and be up and running.
This elevates any downtime for the users.
You can create images in DOS, Win3x, OS2, Win95,NT4.0, UNIX, Linux, etc.....

That is a really good idea. I will have to look into that. Thanks for sharing!

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd also add Gotek FDD emulator, dos machines always seem to need a boot disk every now ant then.
and if easy transfers are important much easier to copy a small file to a disk then have to pull out the entire "hdd" and sometime more convenient then starting up networking

Reply 4 of 6, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-05-27, 10:39:

I'd also add Gotek FDD emulator, dos machines always seem to need a boot disk every now ant then.
and if easy transfers are important much easier to copy a small file to a disk then have to pull out the entire "hdd" and sometime more convenient then starting up networking

I install a network primarily card to set the time using MTPC's SNTP utility, but file transfers as well.

Reply 5 of 6, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My go-to configurations for 386 and below.....

In General........

I prefer lay-flat XT and AT style cases - 80's style ones. Think the early XT clone chassis that look like an actual IBM (almost), or the AT clone Chassis in a similar style. My #1 favorite case - which I wish I had back, and had more of - is the one GEM Computer Products used on their whitebox 386 models. It was basically the same as the Parkview Metals cases that Compaq used on their early 8086/286/386 Deskpro machines, but slightly wider, and designed for standard full sized AT - right on down to the front Keyboard jack. But anything from that era looks cool - heck, I'll use these on 486's and Pentiums as I like that style so much.

For motherboards I tend to prefer older boards with more pin-through-hole components and thicker traces so if something deteriorates or fails I Can easily replace components and rebuild traces with nicely put bodge wires. Full Sized AT boards are my favorite from the look of it but they are not that common. They also lend well to hardware hacking for more beat up/abused examples.

For sound I tend to prefer a SoundBlaster except in XT class machines. In an XT I prefer a GameBlaster, or Tandy 3-Voice.

For peripherals and monitors, I tend to prefer 14"-15" CRTs for my systems. For anything XT Class I prefer an RGB or EGA monitor over VGA - those scanlines just make for a more "Authentic" experience that makes me feel like a Hacker in the 1980's. The biggest, heaviest, loudest keyboard possible like a Northgate 102 or IBM Model "F" or "M", and some obnoxiously oversized or weird pointing device - my favorite being the Microspeed PC-TRAC trackballs. Favorite Gamepads would be the classic Gravis Gamepad, Thrustmaster for Flight sims, or the PC ProPad 4 is my #1 though.

Typically what I try to do these days is get as much out of as few setups as possible (Though I have more)....

All the 386+ era stuff is typically handled by my army of Versa and 486 DX4-100 desktop. 486 Class is my favorite hence why I use it so much.

For all the stuff between that an XT, my 286 handles that. My 286 is a fine example of what I do with most of my vintage PC which is I soup it up heavily so all the "inconvenience" is replaced by faster, more convenient methods, while still retaining the rest of the authenticity of the experience. Basically, the feel, look, and aesthetic of the original hardware, minus things like slow MFM hdd, stressful repair sessions on CRT RGB monitors, outdated Data storage formats that are impossible to get (ZIP, Jaz, MO Drives, older Tape formats, etc...), and stuff that means I'll be spending a good chunk of my weekend fixing something rather than enjoying the machine. Mine is a GEM 286 in a AT clone case with a OCtec Fox II style motherboard, 802C87 co-processor, CPU overclocked from 10-12MHz, SVGA, SB Pro 2.0, SCSI 3GB HDD and 2X CD-ROM, and Ethernet networking over mTCP.

For XT's typically I tend to gravitate more to Whitebox clones I can get really cheap, or the occasional Tandy 1000 series model (A, SX mostly), preferring 6 or 8MHz examples over 4.77MHz, but I am fine with the original PC speed as well as that makes really really old games (ie 81-84' era) easier to run and easier to play. For floppies I Stick to 360K DSDD for the time being because I have that, but whatever is easiest. Creeping Net XT II (what was in my 486's case before it was a 486) had dual 1.44MB Floppies using DRIVER.SYS to read/write the full capacity in MS-DOS (quite a mess to deal with at that time TBH). I did that because it is just easier to minimize what data formats you use than have to go repairing and hunting down vintage floppy drives.

If I had to start over at this point, I'd probably just have two machines....with a bit of indecision....one of the faster 486's, either my Versa M/75 with Versadock or my DX4-100 in an XT case, and then a 286 with a Tandy 3-voice card and EGA, or one of the 286 based 1000s. Everything 386+ plus would be on the 486, while everything XT/AT would be on the 286, and I'd just hot-swap the Turbo off for older software that runs too fast with Turbo "on".

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 6 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use ISA D-Link, IBM. 3Com, SMS and GeniusLans nics in my old stuff without any issues all.

My Zenith 286LP Plus cost $20. It takes 8megs in 1meg 30pin simms and I can allocate EMS via the bios.

My XT-Turbo with EGA card and Monitor were free. No ram expansion on that yet, just 640k.

Both systems had dead hdds so I replaced them with larger ide hdds with the XT-Tubo using a XT-IDE hdd controller card. I fitted high density fdd controllers in the XT-Turbo for compatibility with all my other systems.

My 1989 386DX25 was also free but the 100meg SCSI hdd was dead. At that time didn't have any spare SCSI hdds so fitted a 4gig ide hdd with DDO software on it.

I quite like mine AT and slime line style systems. They save space on the desktop.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉